Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

combination of many things but ft8 facilitates and provides an outlet for human laziness :)

2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeppers!! WAS = Wacked All Scrubs. Very prestigious!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no "harm" involved. If hams like FT8, they will work it. If they get bored with it or a new mode comes along that is "better" they will work that. My prediction is that when condx improve, quite a few will go back to the legacy modes. If you sort of like the idea of FT8, but the exchange or the possibility the control operator is reading the paper and chatting with the XYL while working you bothers you, try JS8Call. ;)

4. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Clear and to the point, I like that.

Reading between the lines (not your post, but many others) is a sentiment, "everyone oughta do it the way I like." It's a pervasive like of thought. Because I go on JT65 and there are now fewer stations, it's not making me happy so therefore others should stop doing it. I'm wary of that sentiment as I see it everywhere, not just in radio.

That we have stations operating, people building antennas, attending conventions and swap and shops and this all continues tells me the hobby is still alive and well. Further, a local university engineering professor has been encouraging students to get licences, 30+ have them so far. That's how you promote the game, not by telling everyone it has to be played by the rules which appeal to us personally. Get more blood into it and do so by embracing the directions experimentation takes it.

And CW isn't dead, I see a lot of amateurs wanting the challenge, learning CW. I plan to do this myself.

W5BIB and WU8Y like this.
  5. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Lot's of rag chewers on various reflectors on Dlink and DMR. I suspect that were they went.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

No, not important at all in the grand scheme of things, this is why it's a past time.

But for those that don't like to talk about the weather, medical issues, or <insert topic>, it's a motivation to spend time on the air.

After WAS, there is 5BWAS. After DXCC, there are 5BDXCC, HR, #1 HR.

After that, Challenge 3000. This one will keep one 'busy' until the biological solution catches up with the person.

Not interested in awards, try contesting.

K8BZ and W4NNF like this.
  7. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I can quite imagine, back in the day, the old Signal Corps alumni who were whomping out 35 wpm on their key started discussing the evils of SSB and how it was going to take away the interest in the key. Lazy microphone guys, gee whiz, what's the hobby coming to!

WU8Y likes this.
  8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, all you have to do is push the button and talk, so easy monkeys can do it!!! That's not REAL radio!

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

After attending the CTU, and both Topband and Contest Dinners this year, I was surprised to see that the debates/mode fights we see online were not replicated at the events. The hobby is not doing too badly, FT8 included.

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

uh....yeah, that's exactly what I said, except I said "operating point" and you said "control point".
    I no longer comment on people's interpretation of Part 97. It just makes for parsing of the finest wording of black-letter law. (For a good example of word-parsing, see my previous comment)

Since we're swapping opinions about awards programs, here's mine.....awards are significantly cheapened by the online logbooks. Sorry, that's just a fact. I've got multiple DXCC and WAS awards since the advent of LOTW/eQSL. Big deal. The only award I have hanging in my shack is the DXCC award I earned with paper. Automated control of your station will not kill the awards programs.....it's already been killed by AUTOMATED CONFIRMATIONS. And I don't see anyone complaining about that. I guess it's politically correct to include everyone, make everyone feel special and make sure everyone gets a participation trophy. I know it's not a popular opinion, but that's how I see it.

W4IOA likes this.