Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I better finish up the design of my posthumous QSL cards! :cool:

KE0GXN, KA2L, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Forget that. Set it up for automatic LoTW uploads and be done with it.

N0TZU, KK5JY, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

With an adequate nuclear-powered station in a bunker with a hardened antenna system and space-enabled communications as well, it's conceivable that your station could be working stations well into the years where other planets are colonized and you can get Worked all Solar System long long after your death!

And here folks want P5... meh! Why settle for a mere P5 when you can get MARS in the log 42 years after you die :D

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB, N0TZU, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't need FT8. I plan to do it the old fashioned way:

[​IMG]

N0TZU likes this.
  5. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard rumors of it for quiet a while but many denied it because either they are such big fans of the mode or they had not figured it out just yet & they were upset so many others were doing it without them. It already required almost ZERO effort once it is setup & now it takes even less. Typical I think.

Clayton
    W4KVW

6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great book... the movie? Not so much :p

I'm okay with automated FT8/FT4, provided the rules are followed. I don't see how it's that different from APRS, which is also basically automated.

There might be some cool applications for automated digital stations to autonomously build mesh networks for disaster communications as well. I think there's an app in the fldigi suite that does that.

Ham radio is there to do cool things with.

7. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have three main hobbies. AR, flyfishing, and bushcrafting. Each has traditions. And those who challenge the "traditions". I see a common human trait among some of those entrenched in these hobbies. A certain number of, generally old timers, claim the moral high ground and spew verbal abuse on those challenging traditional methods.

I see no issues with those "playing" with automation as long as their stations are operated legally. Once in a while I work FT8 but it seems to me to get boring. I'll accept it may not be so to others.
    I'm not into contesting or chasing awards. I set my own challenges. The older I get the more I realize I shouldn't be imposing my subjective values on others.

VK4HAT and WU8Y like this.
  8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No, fully-automated FT8 is a fork developed against the wishes of K1JT and K9AN. The release candidate software has features designed to impede fully-automatic action. Just because someone misdeveloped the software to do something it wasn't intended to, doesn't make it acceptable.

9. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

From someone with about 1,100 QSOs on FT8, I feel I need to speak for people who actually operate. Yes, you could automate it, but you wouldn't complete all your contacts. Working faint signals requires patience and tenacity - I've spent hours trying to complete a QSO with a station fading in and out and constantly beset by other stations wishing to operate it. I've also come home from work, fired up the station and found the first few CQs were responded to by an Argentine station. So sometimes it can be a true struggle and others almost automatic.

It isn't the end of Amateur Radio, it's just another aspect. People getting into Packet and Repeaters, back in the 70s met with some of the same backlash. I know, I was attending my father's radio club meetings on a regular basis - to many, it was CW, AM or SSB and that was all. Now we have WinSystem and DMR added on. And who is doing RTTY with an actual Teletype?

I find some enjoyment of the chase and patiently awaiting better conditions as the solar cycle remains at its nadir. Weak signal operations are popular for this time.

N0YPD, KI5AIU and WU8Y like this.
  10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Deja vu strikes. This is the exact level of hand wringing that occurred in the late 1980's over RTTY robots and how they were going to ruin amateur radio.