Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"As for FT-8, some clever ham (there are plenty) will write a program in Python or something and the mode will be fully robotized.

It's pretty much that way now, but you will be able to fire it up, relax in your recliner, and get a DXCC automatically without actually being a real control operator!"

I posted that here on the 'zed Dec. 22, 2017. Please do not ask me for stock market advice :)

darth2.jpg

SQ9FVE and N3AB like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, that's just so wrong, on so many levels. :eek:

You were quite right about the automation, though. :)

KJ4VTH likes this.
  3. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I view it as a bit different between situations where it makes the difference between no contact at all such as EME or the current low DX conditions versus making a contat, and just trying to speed up one's WAS award. Those who scream "no FT8" are about the same morally as those who just want to press a button, go mow the lawn, then return and get their award.

IMO.

4. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

For things like EME or (I am assuming) meteor scatter where this is the choice compared to no contact at all. IMO if someone makes an EME contact one is working at the limits of current technology available to Joe six-pack, even with the software assistance. I view it as an impressive accomplishment.

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you remove the human from the equation, it is just so much BS. Nothing more needs to be said, and it is an eternal truth. If "fully automated FT8" is your cup of tea, maybe you'd also enjoy life with no participation whatsoever? Pathetic. :(

6. SQ9FVE

SQ9FVE Ham Member QRZ Page

My 'secret' plan is to replace you all with algorithms by 2025 :D

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    ND6M, KA0HCP and W4ZD like this.
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Any automation used for brief periods of time are impossible to detect. Also, as hard as it is to believe, automation does not always mean unattended/autonomous operation.

The 'known' cases are easily noticed. Not even a healthy, financially independent, retired person can be on the air as often, and for as long a period of time, as these few cases.

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh I thought you mentioned DRIP.. I've done rather well with that one. Kudos to you anyhow! :)

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

P.S. Somehow Darth Vader and Pink just seem to don't get along together.