ad: elecraft

Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Not complaining about the mode, but about the guys who think this is amateur radio. I call it "training-wheels HF".

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think so. Many of the additions were done by hand, but the software can also add a call automatically.

The list is mainly defensive. If somebody sends the same message to me too many times, their call gets blocked so that the auto-sequence doesn't get stuck, and the call-first doesn't pick them out again and get stuck again.

More recently, I wrote up another rule that blocks calls that clobber my running frequency too many times. If they consistently call CQ or other people on a frequency I have already been running for a while, it blocks their call. I may still have to move, but it also prevents certain bad actors from doing other sequences that can get the auto-sequence "stuck."

I have over 6,100 unique calls in the logbook, and only 400 blocked calls. That's a block-list rate of only ~6%. That's actually better than I would expect. It's not impossible to be offensive in FT8, but it tends to be tougher to be offensive on FT8 than, say, on 7200 LSB. :D

VK4HAT likes this.
  3. KK5JY

Yes, my FT8 experiences were also underwhelming. Certainly interesting, but the only "new" thing it brings to radio is "popular."

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

In this case semantics is important, and I don't say this with any hidden agenda. It's not a QSO in the traditional sense, other 'disputes' about the mode notwithstanding.
    Again, no hidden agenda here, but the mode was not 'designed' by K1JT to 'actually talk to people'. There are other modes for that. JS8Call, even if still not comparable to PSK31, RTTY, CW, etc., is more 'inclined' to 'talk to people' than FT8.

Not trying to create an argument here, just seeing things from a different angle.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

It most certainly is, based on the long tradition of the EME community. Or do you say that EME aren't "real" QSOs as well?
    If you just want to talk to people, well, CB's over there. If you're interested in propagation, DX, you know - advancing the radio art, well, that's what FT8 is for.

AG5DB likes this.
  6. VA3VF

I'm not familiar with the EME community 'traditions'. For me, as an HF FT8 user/supporter/promoter, or as others would maliciously say, fan boy/drum beater etc., an FT8 contact is not a QSO. It has nothing to do with the validity or legitimacy of the thing.

Even QSOs I do not enjoy, the ones covering the weather and other silly topics, get the QSO 'label' from me. FT8 generates contacts, good enough for me, and all I want really, but not a QSO in my (log)book. YMMV

7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How does one add calls to the "blocked" list? I don't think I've ever seen that option in the program, but I haven't looked for it. I know, RTFM! ;)

8. VA3VF

Unless you are talking about the Full-Auto-Mode fork, I don't think there is an FM to RT.;)

If it is the Full-Auto-Mode fork, it's item 9 of the readme PDF.

W4PG likes this.
  9. KK5JY

@VA3VF is correct. It's a feature I added myself.

10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

PSKReporter?

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ