Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

D'oh...too much competition already.:D

N2SUB likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Some of my friends are into them big-time. Me? I remember that sort of thing fondly, but today am happy with an LOTW confirmation. :)

N2SUB likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The "never work" list in my FT8 software has over 400 entries and counting, so he's certainly not unique. :) He was probably the worst so far, however.

If you drop me a PM, I'll give you his callsign.

4. VA3VF

Regarding my CODEC issue. Coincidences can really throw you off the 'right path'.

Connected my laptop to the IC-7300. The laptop has not received the latest Win 10 update. Still not working. That told me Win 10, at least this time around, was not at fault.

Uploaded the IC-7300 settings from the SD card, problem solved.

Why/how the IC-7300 configuration got corrupted is still unknown to me. The fact that it happened at the same moment as a Win 10 update made me waste 2 days. Well, not totally wasted. In my attempts to fix it, I did a major clean up on my desktop PC. I seems to be running better now.

5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, not anymore; I think all the opposition has pretty much resigned themselves to losing the argument over whether FT8 is a REAL mode. Now they just claim that FT8 QSOs aren't REAL QSOs.

W4NNF likes this.
  6. VA3VF

Traditionally speaking, they are not...but they are real contacts.;)

I'll take a LoTW match, please.:D

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like the debate over artificial computer to computer contacts or whatever semantic games people play to describe them is being used to mask the criticism of dubious automatic qsos.

It’s a nice try but a monumentally transparent diversion from the real problem, that being FT8 and its clones are a hard sell for those of us who want to actually talk to people.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's one heck of an Ignore list! I have to ask - what gets a person on that list? Am I on there?

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

some ionospheric phenomenon lined up pretty well yesterday on 20m - I worked 15 DX stations in a row doing exchanging RST & Name at 30wpm - pretty sure I beat FT8 in terms of speed. And I sent it all manually :)

Despite being quick QSOs - they felt like "real" QSOs

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KJ4VTH and KP4SX like this.