Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Monitor the operation for a while. It's not 100%, but will give you enough to be suspicious, and if it's repeated often enough, the chances of being right increases.

That said, from your point of view, why is that contact different? You made it there and back. It's not like some topbanders that use a remote receiver closer to the target entity, and give the other station a false sense of accomplishment.

Just asking... if a human on both sides of the contact is what you want, nothing wrong with that.

I tend to focus on the RF part for the most part, the payload is secondary, or I would stick with a good old ragchew.;)

My favorite question, for DXers at least, is: Is a P5, or Bouvet bot, acceptable?:D:D:D

Let's be honest now. We already saw some of the 'True Blue DXers' relent to FT8, quietly.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    ND6M likes this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, if the FCC can't tell who is "live" and who is "Memorex" on 7.200, just how are us mere mortals (or the arrl) supposed to know who is an FT 8 "BOT"?

3. VA3VF

On a side note, has your computer received the Win 10 May update? Looks like it breaks the USB CODEC, it did for me. RX is OK, but no TX.

Previous fixes did not work. I've been off the air, on FT8, for 2 days now. Still re/searching for a solution.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Maybe Microsoft will save us from ourselves?? :p:p

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It never ceases to amaze me how many complaints some hams have about new modes, rigs, operators and lack of band activity - this usually comes from hams that
    are not on the air much , if at all. The other amazing crowd is the 5 watt Baofeng set that complain that there is nobody to talk to - yet they are not out there throwing
    their call out looking for people to talk to.

Kinda like the guys in the Country Club bar drinking and complaining about the condition of the greens, the new members, the maintenance yet they golf once a month.

Present company excluded of course.

6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i dont think many are complaining about the mode - but more the automation of the mode...

KP4SX and W7UUU like this.
  7. VA3VF

Talk about having 'friends' in high places!:D

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Way back when, DXpeditions and Special Event stations would have special, super-duper cards made up just for the occasion? Is that still done?

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

All the time! K1N Navassa Island was practically a book - so was Ducie Island.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll start trying to work DX again. ;)