Is fully automated FT8 now acceptable?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe so. May be a case like the well known call from the Middle East that nobody can work in spite of his endless robotic CQing for hours on end with a superb signal over here. His excuse is a very high noise level which is clearly possible but you'd think after a while he'd move on to something else given such poor results. I never had a problem working him on CW.

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its also quite plausible he is using high power. Legal power in the USA on FT8 is 1500w, legal power for me on FT8 is 30w. There are obviously going to be a number of stations I hear that will just not hear me because of that power disparity. When I worked the couple of regular stations from Oman the signal reports were something like +20 and -18. its one thing to be heard by everyone but workable by very few because they do not have many KW's

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did I say Oman? ;) The other guys there are readily workable with reasonably equal signals. The fellow in question is no lid. FT8 isn't his first rodeo. He's known as a good op. I just have to wonder why he keeps the CQ machine running with such poor results.

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an automated packet station on 20 meters and 2 meters. I keep in contact with many hams that I have been in contact with for years. I can put a message in my packet station and instruct it to call a full service BPQ packet station on 20 meters once per hour until propagation allows the contact. When the contact is made my station will automatically send the message to the BPQ packet station and the message will continue to forward automatically until it reaches the destination station. Response message are sent back to me in a similar way.

This same mode can be used in an automated network to on VHF to exchange traffic automatically during an emergency situation between any location participating in an emergency response; such as a fire station, hospital, EMS service etc. Here is a video with more info on packet radio automated emergency networks:

Before readers get all bent out of shape about a station automatically calling when there is no control operator present, please read on.

Packet is not like Winlink. There is one 20 meter packet frequency that all packet station can use at the same time. A packet station will not transmit when is detected on the frequency. AX.25 packet protocol is designed specifically to allow multiple station to communicate on the same frequency at the same time. Unlike Winlink you will not find half a dozen different stations scattered across the band. This type of automated digital communications has been going on at least since the mid 1970's and probably longer.

These packet operators are using the mode and the automated features to communicate with other hams world wide by sending message with content and not to chase awards. I don't know any packet operator who logs automated packet radio communication or tries to use it for awards credit. Real time keyboard to keyboard packet QSO's between two live operators is another matter. I do log those QSO's and will QSL the contact with a card or LoTW which ever is preferred.

I am opposed to allowing any automated QSOs to be eligible for awards credit.

5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lucky guess on my part HAHAHAHA

KP4SX likes this.
  6. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Signal report and grid square are exciting, not boring. What's boring is listening to some OF blather on about his prostate or lumbago or politics...

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i hear this a lot - but in my experience, I've never had anyone talk about any of that in any QSO i've ever had...

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still work FT8 BUT...there's little impetus to work the same station again just to get another signal report. If that's your cuppa, though, go for it. I'm now set up for JS8Call, and while there's not (nearly) as much activity as with FT8, there are stations to work, and I'm enjoying the contacts. I may even look in on good old PSK31 again sometime. :)

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i decided to work some FT8 this morning --- sooo boring. But that's where the DX is - so i'll keep it as a tool in the toolbox.

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I worked him on 80. He heard me on a band peak. It took a long time for another band peak to complete the contact. It can be a real challenge to work everyone on a band. I'll use short band peaks to work modest stations and stations that don't hear well.