Is FT8 the New Normal for DXPeditions?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WF4W, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless things changed since I last checked, the original plan was to make FT4 'work' in contest mode only. Yes, it's available outside of contests now, but for testing purposes.

The sensitivity of FT4 improved in the latest RC. I think it's better than RTTY already. It does work better than the previous version, less repeats needed. So, I hear you, it would be nice to have FT4 'unlocked' in the final release.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on what some critics say, and yet use the mode to work DX that they would otherwise not be able to, it's more like a tsunami.:D

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

well, unless propogation was one-way, S9A had great signals on 30m and 40m yesterday but would only work FT8... wait, I take that back, they did work some 30m CW but were only taking JA calls...

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is nothing like FT8 to let you know you have a problem with your antenna system and are limited to 10 watts without crashing WSJT.

KQ0J likes this.
  5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"There is nothing like FT8 to let you know you have a problem with your antenna system and are limited to 10 watts without crashing WSJT."

Not necessarily just the antenna but your entire installation. I found this out some years back when I got into PSK and digital modes. Where the antenna is, where the tuner is, common mode supression, running cables properly, generous use of ferrites and filters.

6. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The difference is I worked VP6D on EVERY band (160-10m) on cw, and 5 bands phone. I didn't have to be a digital guy to make qso's. With 3D2CR I worked 4bands (40,30,20, and 15) cw and 2 bands phone, 20, and 17 for 5 bands total... I felt totally deflated, but apparently did better than most. But they were everywhere on FT-8. I worked all those (my) qso's in the first three days of the expedition, after that I never found 'em again except on ft-8 or a band mode I already had. It was very disappointing in some ways, I did send a contribution, and my qso's do show on clublog, but for non digital, traditional operators... I'm concerned for the future.

I understand they only had 2 operators, and conditions (and presumably fatigue) were terrible. I know these expeditions need to make contacts with as many discreet operators, with as many qso's as possible for fundraising purposes. But really 80% of those qso's could have been made by a robot (only slightly tongue in cheek).

I DID make a contribution to the rebeldxgroup, with thanks for their activation, but I will also note that I made a meaningfully larger contribution to the Ducie Island crew in thanks for the number of band slots I filled, and the number of hours I got to spend filling in the blanks on my dance card.

So please guys, don't forget the traditional modes!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019