ad: hrd-2

IS EVERYONE AWARE OF THE RISK OF LOSING THE 2M BAND TO AERONAUTICAL SERVICES?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by I0SJX, Jun 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I apologize if I got it wrong. Trying to make 144-146 MHz an "aeronautical" band DOES have significant impact, both here AND in the EU/Region 1. It wipes out our weak signal 2 Meter use, as well as the satellite allocations in that part of the spectrum, which IS an International allocation.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. G3ZHI

G3ZHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

That wouldn't make sense, because the antennas for 2 meters are too large and too heavy. It would be horribly inefficient for the drone.

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Think bigger.

[​IMG]

N4QX likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow 16 Pages.

It's kinda amusing reading different posts around the interwebs criticizing 2 meters... 2 Meter C.B. Ham, 2 meter Ops are Mostly C.B. operators that couldn't talk on a real radio, Real Hams get on H.F. etc etc.

BUT

Even the hint of a possible threat to that chunk of spectrum....

6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not taking consumer drones that you pay $1,000 for and fly over the neighbor's pool. These are going to be big enough to support a 19" piece of wire or may also be manned aircraft.
    I used to fly an airplane that did RF surveys with a big rack of gear, they probably would have loved some real time feedback and likewise pipeline patrol.

7. G0UKP

G0UKP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand now that we are going to SHARE the 2-meter band with the aeronautical service, oh right, why did you not say that before, so between overs we have to let signals through for Aircraft to fly.
    That was said tongue in cheek and with a smile on my face. really its let us kick the underdog and while he down kicks him again. I have to be careful what I say as freedom of speech in the UK is slowly eroding away.

8. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that it is ignorance. People switch on, hear nothing, and switch off again, and like to air their prejudices about license classes but have never themselves put any effort into weak signal operating on the band.

BUT:

Take SOTA, I guess it is a small subset of hamdom, SOTA activators are people who probably are a bit more fit than usual. If you look at the SOTA database you will see that so far this year there were 1241 hams recording activations on 2 metres, 362 of them in the USA. I don't know how many contacts they made, that would take a bit of advanced magic in the database, but four contacts is the minimum to qualify an activation. My average has been more like ten. The total number of 2 m QSOs in the SOTA database is currently 993,130. As I say, a small subset, probably dwarfed by the number of DXers, contestors, weak signal enthusiasts on tropo, MS, Ar, ES etc and these more exotic propagation modes are only sporadically available. In short, there is much more life on 2m than will be found by a casual tune-around.

9. G0UKP

G0UKP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can I just say a word about the RSGB in the UK, it was reported from them that we should not make a fuss or sign any petitions in regard to the possible loss of the 2 meter Band if this is true do you think for one minute that we are just going to roll over and say nothing, a lot of Rado Hams around the world including the UK get a lot of pleasure from there hobby and give a lot back to there perspective Countries.
    And as for signing petitions and making a fuss I will carry on just doing that.

10. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait till I ask them to refund all the money I spent on 2M radios.