IS EVERYONE AWARE OF THE RISK OF LOSING THE 2M BAND TO AERONAUTICAL SERVICES?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by I0SJX, Jun 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Even less that may use the band. Less still that may care about it.

2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do many people actually use that band anymore?

3. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

PLENTY of APRS on 144.390 MHz. Probably the most used frequency on that band by far!

4. N6PAT

Hey, that's good to know.

5. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Uplink or downlink band on nearly every amateur satellite. So, yeah.

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy a Baofeng and turn the band into QRM. Problem solved.

7. N6PAT

I stick to terrestrial communications so it doesn't impact me. Zero interest on this end

8. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The broad range of amateur radio transcends individual interests. Including mine. And yours.

You working for Thales or something?

WE4B and WU8Y like this.
  9. N6PAT

Enjoy ham radio as you see fit.

10. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Precisely my point. With Spectrum Monitoring like https://electrosense.org/, the pressure on hams is just going to multiply as time goes by. So we should be trying to use the spectrum we have been granted smarter and more efficiently.
    For example; I really like the concepts that TETRA bring to the VHF/UHF bands. Instead of being limited to two slot TDMA like DMR, it has 4 slots. These extra slots allow your portable radio to same band (via TDMA time slices) repeat thru any other TETRA radio within range (like perhaps your mobile) in the event you cannot access the main TETRA repeater directly. I like that, its like radio relay/ mesh technology. It also has a nice VOIP telephone tie in, which would be nice to bring back to ham radio for Emcomm purposes. The autopatch was a great resource for direct connection to government. Or you can bond a couple of the time slots together to at least achieve dial-up data transfer speeds, etc.

The traditional commercial two way market outside of police, fire, EMS use is almost non existent, compared to 20 years ago. It would nice to see a coordinated shift away from this for ham radio. But this would take some consensus between the amateurs and potential manufactures.