ad: dxeng

IS EVERYONE AWARE OF THE RISK OF LOSING THE 2M BAND TO AERONAUTICAL SERVICES?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by I0SJX, Jun 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI6HLD

KI6HLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Since this is a proposal in Europe, no immediate danger in the US of losing the band. However, if Europe dictates the frequency for aviation, most other countries may feel the need to follow suit, or require two different radios and antennas or more complicated installations in any aircraft flying that way.
    To my mind the better option would be t0 split the current AM aviation band by using the top 10 AM channels to make 20 or more new narrow band FM channels. That would require less changes to the current installations, letting the old AM sets be used until a majority of aircraft have the new stuff installed, maybe 10 years down the line. Then swap over all channels to narrow FM.
    OR
    The current aviation band at 120 MHz could be replaced, but 140-148 MHz would not be the answer. Higher frequencies such as the former cell phone frequencies at 900 MHz or somewhere in the middle using the old UHF TV bands would allow smaller antennas and more bandwidth for more channels. But of course most of those frequencies have already been re-sold or allocated.

At any rate, there is not much point in US hams 'sign the petition', as signatures from outside the EU will likely be ignored.

NL7W likes this.
  2. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Actual there is danger, if 144-146 go away, satcom to R1 goes away - as does EME.

Indeed satcom, may go away entirely as the transmissions of satellites would certainly carry over into R1 territory.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. No worries for the fm repeater bunch. The rest of us....

4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

This proposal has nothing to do with replacing the current AM radios. They will continue on as always.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

MUCH of Europe is still limited to 146-148 MHz on 2 Meters already. Who would THEY care? Of course, there's the satellite portion that IS designated world-wide.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that true? I can't find many lists for specific countries but what I can find makes it pretty clear that the 2 meter band in region 1 is 144 to 146. What country within region 1 makes it 146 to 148?

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just heard a 'funny' short monologue on 2M. Ham calling CQ on the local repeater, 'pleading' for a QSO. After several unanswered attempts he comes back and says: No wonder they want to take away 2M.:(

That said, it's rare to hear activity most days. The HT scans the local repeaters continually, and rarely stops.

The only exceptions are a couple of nets a week that basically checks to see who is still breathing, nothing useful is discussed really.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

9. G0UKP

G0UKP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can`t understand why there is only 2,378 that have signed the petition, to date, there are at least 60 to 70 thousand registered Radio Hams in the UK.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Registered doesn't mean active.

"Paper tech's" are a problem we have here.