Is electronics knowledge still relevant in amateur radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, Feb 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Amateur radio operators are no longer forced to learn Morse code..." There, fixed it for you. :)

The reason? There is absolutely no reason that someone should be required to learn Morse code in the Year of our Lord 2018. It's been dead to the commercial communications industry and to the Military for decades. Its only purpose in ham radio was as a gate-keeper. And that turned out to be a bad thing.

N4MXZ and WU8Y like this.
  2. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yea. Thanks for telling us all why it should be required in amateur radio. Pretty swift.

3. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

"My theory is that it's because some issues require a bit of understanding, not just a retrieval of facts, whether the facts are memorized or looked up. And to me, that understanding is what's most relevant, not the rote memorization."

Agreed and very true.

A further understanding comes about by putting theory into practice.

Phil

4. WA4KCN

someone who hates authority
    I agree there was no worry over it. Instead they just promulgated. Have you read the purpose of amateur . It's still there unworried and all!

5. WA4KCN

I agree and if you get tired of radio you can join the AAOIU. The American Association Of I phone Users. The have coffer breaks and everything even phone numbers you can exchange with foreign nations to talk to foreigners about cell phone technology, snap chat etc. I think they do forums on texting as well. Its great fun. But the biggest drawback is one must learn the code - computer code that is. It keeps many people from joining cause it too hard.

6. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you know how you sound:rolleyes:

7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

EY:

High school 1958 to 1962. Transition from the carefree 1950s to the rebellious 1960s.

General aviation has always been a very expensive "hobby". I am very aware of this having owned a Cessna 150 (N5572E) for while. The events of 11 September 2001, with the restrictions placed on aircraft after that, did have a negative effect, in fact a very large negative effect, on general aviation.

At least in northwestern Indiana, during my high school years, between the school system and the community, there were a fair number of clubs / organizations having to do with various hobbies and avocations. The Salvation Army, believe it or not, had a very large model airplane club for junior high and high school students. There were astronomy clubs, stamp collecting clubs, and even more clubs. A goodly number of the youth were in the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. In high school, I was a member of an Air Explorer squadron (Boy Scouts) and we had an L-19 (on loan from the CAP) in which I learned to fly! This was in a definitely "blue collar" town where a goodly number of the parents did not even have a high school diploma!

During my tenure in the school system, the high school was rated #2 in the states of Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. The year after I graduated, when the new high school building was opened, it moved to #1! Most of the parents wanted their children to get a good education so that they did not have to work in the heavy industry, to be able to move away for a better life. The teachers' pay was higher than what was paid for professors at many colleges. I had a number of former college professors as teachers in high school because they could get a higher salary. We had several PhD teachers!

To remain employed, teachers had a certain time frame in which to obtain a master's degree. Because of the salaries, there was no shortage of replacements waiting in the wings to take the place of teachers who did not comply with the master's edict.

Basically, most parents encouraged their children to participate in things like clubs. Of course, there was always athletics. But, even most athletes were also members of clubs and organizations that did not have anything to do with athletics. I was on the varsity track team all 4-years in high school and on the varsity cross country team for the last 3-years (I didn't know about cross country my freshman year).

Unfortunately, these days, a goodly number of parents do not encourage their children to participate in such activities especially outside of sports. Of course, there are exceptions. But, in my experience, way too many children are left to their video games and impersonal communicating.

Glen, K9STH

8. WA4KCN

:eek: Its great fun isn't it.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

dumbass.jpg

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's nothing in the rules against promulgating so have at it and have fun. :)