ad: ProAudio-1

Is 14.275 Mhz normal amateur radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA1HOT, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. KA1HOT

KA1HOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, I'm only a novice but have been studying to upgrade.

My boyfriend has a nice Icom radio and we sometimes listen to 20 M with a dipole.

We often hear this guy from Michigan and a guy from Florida on 14275 who sound somewhat mentally challenged. I'm having trouble learning everything to pass my test and I can't understand how these guys have passed any test.

I guess it's good they have something to do and have nothing against challenged individuals, but they seem to cause lots of trouble, and are nasty to nearly everyone they talk to. And the guy from Michigan is always calling people gay.

We've also listened to 80 Meters at night and hear lots of strange behavior there also. I like learning new things but I'm beginning to wonder if this hobby if for me.

Is all this normal?

LoisAnn

Bogus post, please ignore. Terry, K7FE

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  2. NA4BH

NA4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

ANOTHER TROLL >>>>>>>>>>>> Nice Try............

Yes it is normal, don't upgrade !!!!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is absolutely not normal. Normal amateur radio is much worse. Suggest you take up a different hobby.......

4. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's not normal. Just do a search here on QRZ with "14.275" and you'll find plenty if information. No need to rehash it here, yet again.

Steve
    KV6O

5. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi LoisAnn,

No what you've heard on 14.275 is not typical. Are....you..."that way?" No ? Well then there ya go. Ham radio cuts across all segments of society. You'll meet, talk to and hear all kinds just as you would in any hobby or on a walk in a busy public park.

Yes there are some bad apples in the basket, but they don't spoil the whole bushel.

Good luck!

6. KJ0JK

KJ0JK Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely not normal, no, LoisAnn. If you want to hear real, decent hams, try tuning in to 3855 from 7-~9:30 Central time, or 3916 at 10:30. Those are both really decent nets run by good people, and specifically dedicated to NOT being like some of those others you hear out there.

If 10 meters opens up, my club has a net on 28.400 after the normal 2 meter net at 9pm on Saturdays. There's also a six meter roundtable on 50.135 on Thursday nights around 9, although you're a lot less likely to hear that for a while.

You can find a lot of decent hams out there, if you go looking for it. Give a listen tonight or tomorrow night on the frequencies I mentioned, and keep on studying... once you get your General, you can join in too! If I was more confident with the code, I'd offer to contact you on cw on 80... maybe one of these days. Keep studying, and 73's!

-Josh

7. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a thought. Not sure what kind of radio your boy friend is using, but nearly all of them have a big round knob. Virtually none of them are stuck on 14275 unless that is where the owner/user wants them stuck. You may have to use some WD-40 on either the radio or the boy friend, or both, to see if you can move that big knob. It is called the "tuning" knob, or the VFO. See if you can find it. Maybe you can even show your boy friend where it is. Then you both learn something.

Kinda like living on the freeway intersection, and believing all the rest of the world is full of high speed crashes. If that's where you like to live, go ahead, but if that is your choice, don't complain here about it.

Well, at least you are not presently stuck on CB Channel 13. Or 6.

Then again, maybe you are.

Look for that knob. It may open a whole new world for you!
    If you can't find it, send me a picture of the front of the radio (that is the part you look at when the radio is on the desk in front of you) and I'll edit the photo with an arrow and some text pointing out the knob for you. That's what we do, we teach. Be glad to help.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  8. NA4BH

NA4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

You Left out the Canadian Fruitcake (unless that is what you follow). Wow, it is strange your post comes after a month long absence of the Canadian Fruitcake. 275 sure was quiet while he was gone. Please do not upgrade as this is all you will hear, stay on 2 meters where CB needs to be. The rest of the bands are great, unless you get on 275 where the Fruitcake lives. Poor KFM has enlisted another sacrificial lamb. Good job, enjoy while you can. You are next !!!!!!!

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not "normal." Much of the activity there is borderline illegal as well, (on BOTH sides of th border; no pun intended.)
    What occurs there is no more acceptable to the vast majority of Amateurs than it would be in the company of decent individuals anywhere else.

10. W3DUB

W3DUB Ham Member QRZ Page

No it's completely ABNORMAL, as is 80m. Just remember, mentioning 275 on here is like the magic word in Pee Wee's Playhouse.. everybody screams.

Don't let this prevent you from upgrading, or thinking twice. And as many people said here.. spin the dial.

You've put a marked target on your back with your post however. Now the trolls on here will follow you around like a lost puppy dog.

73 and enjoy the hobby...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.