IRLP vs Dstar vs Allstar...Commercialization of Amateur Radio?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by AA1PR, Aug 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

real nice insulting comment

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry if I offended you.

I resemble that remark.

3. KD0WHB

KD0WHB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have figured out how to interconnect IRLP, EchoLink, and AllStar, but I am still working on D-STAR. Unfortunately, a USB dongle seems to be required.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

That is cool.

You should get permission before linking things together, Save you some troubles.

Putting your ID or others out over the nodes may be prohibited too.

Have fun.

5. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thia is why no one is active on the bands & the hobby is on a descend

each mode thinks they are superior to the next

while they all use voip

6. N1RVN

N1RVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Elitism was and always will be there - I hope it's not too a supercilious word for the forum - be it the 2 KW guy shouting at you "this frequency is occupied" for hours while chewing the rug with his 2 KW buddy 20 miles away, the CW guy blowing by at 100 wpm, the IRLP exclusivist (is that word?), the exotic digitalist on HF, the digital voice user... you name it.

The bigger concern I think is the fragmentation of the VHF/UHF usage: way too many interconnecting systems whose owners refuse to network. I took a break from ham radio from around 2007 until mid last year. When I returned mid 2016, all of the FM repeaters in the Atlanta were - and still are - almost dead... barely any traffic. The lively commute time fun is all gone. You can have pretty much any repeater to yourself - and yourself only... for hours... but barely anyone to talk to.

Then I started reading about all the wonderful digital voice modes... and more fragmentation. Following the lead of commercial systems, it was inevitable to see them coming to ham radio. And that's all good! What's bad is that the community was unable to come together and decide on ONE system. It's IRLP vs Echolink vs AllStar all over again. So the analog repeater world and its problems are now fading, but we have the exact same issue with digital.

The big idea behind any hobby is to have fun; I hope we can continue having fun and playing around with radio.

It would be nice though to be "on the same frequency" and not divided between so many systems/modes/etc.

7. KJ6ZPV

KJ6ZPV Ham Member QRZ Page

To all that care to read my perspective.

TL;DR: I want to get more involved in Amateur radio, but lack the $ for toys and live in an area where 2m/70cm has almost zero rag chew.

I am a 46 year old who grew up with computers just starting to take over the world. My father, who worked for Xerox, had computers in the home while I was growing up. My first memory is of a Xerox 820-II with a 2 8" drive floppy disk controller and a massive dot-matrix printer. Followed by an Atari 800 with a home made (friend made at work) interface to the same printer. I had always been interested in Ham radio and loved any type of communication protocols I could get my hands on. CB, Business band, then the Internet and all its flavors.

What brought me to this post was a search for "D-Star vs Allstar". I was looking for a path to take as a newer (5 years) ham that 3 years ago moved away from an area that had many very active 2m/70cm bands. Since moving to where I am now, I find the repeaters I can hit with my Yeasu Ft60 devoid of two-way communications. I spent one day tesitng this theary. I Kerchunked my transmitter (I know that is bad form) and waited for the repeater to identify itself (in CW no less) then I transmitted my call and Monitoring. (I had been told transmitting CQ, CQ, CQ was bad form on VHF/UHF and that I only should put out my call, and if someone was interested in talking, they would call you back.) So now my last xmit contained my call (per regs) and I waited. 10 minutes later the repeater identified itself once more so it was following regs. I then xmitted the same again My call and the word monitoring. I was doing this for two reasons. First, to see on my drive how far I had this particular repeater available in case of emergency (I was out in the national forest.) Secondly, to see if I could have a QSO with someone else.

The result was 8 hours of nothing but me talking to a repeater that only spoke it's identification once every 10 minutes.

Now insert a group which I will not name because I don't want to bring them any negative press. I have been able to connect via their TeamSpeak Server, then my EchoLink on my iPhone, and talk on the North Pole, Alaska Allstar net and node and my passion for Ham has been re-ignited. The person above who stated eventually the communication does go over the air stated something I agree with. Just because, I can't afford the $200-$20000 equipment price tags shouldn't exclude me from a hobby. Especially once with the roots that Amateur radio has.

Now, I did not find what I initially was looking for with my search, however, I did find a topic that I thought my perspective might shed light. I am a ham, have been a ham for 5 years, and feel like I am wallowing in a hobby that is dying. I am desperately searching for ways I can afford to breathe and or find life in this hobby as I find comms a wonderful and fun past time.

Any help would be appreciated. You can send info to me at my call @GMAIL

Matt KJ6ZPV

K2JMC likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

I am not sure what help you want ?

https://hamvoip.org/

9. KJ6ZPV

KJ6ZPV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out that website you posted as it may contain information that would be helpful for me. Basically getting RF populated, using crosslinks to other communication protocols in the ham sphere to be able to use my 2m/70cm HT to contact other hams for QSO's. As it stands now, 99% of my QSO traffic is VOIP into differing Echolink, or Allstar crosslinks. Granted my QSO is eventually over RF, it does not start there. I am looking for inexpensive ways to get myself connected to Reflectors or nodes. I feel like I am going to have push back or a lethargic response to my offer, and/or request to have some type of IRLP, EchoLink, or DMR, D-Star, Allstar...

So thanks for the links.

Matt KJ6ZPV