IPO on yaesu ft1000mp

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4ZHZ, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. N4ZHZ

N4ZHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

my radio receives great on all bands and the IPO works fine except on 10 mtrs when i push the ipo it just about cuts my receive out i can barely hear my friend that usally hits me with an S 9 i need some advice thanks BOB n4zhz:confused:
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, don't use the IPO on 10 meters.

The IPO shuts off the front end stage in the receiver, so the receiver can deal better with strong signals.

If you don't have any strong signals to contend with, the IPO should be OFF, which allows the front end stage to function.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that one is a bit counterintuitive. I'm not sure what it really stands for, but I think of it as standing for "Internal Preamplifier Off". So when you turn it off, you're turning the preamp on. When you turn it on, that means that the preamp is off.

In general, just leave IPO off on the high bands (that is, leave the preamp on). During a contest on the low bands, turn it on to prevent overload (that is, turn the preamp off).

Come to think of it, maybe it stands for "I Prevent Overload".
  4. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

It may stand for Intercept Point Optimization. It appears that Yaesu's handling of their preamp selection is causing some strange ideas to crop up in the minds of the inexperienced operators!

5. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I wrote a response but I see you actually said your radio works until you push IPO, and so your preamps are fine.

I'd have to dig into the manual to see what might make ten go out and not affect the other bands when using IPO.

I know what makes the preamp not work, but not the other way around. :)

73 Tom
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought the Yaesu IPO is the same as the Kenwood AIP ("Advanced Intercept Point"), which means they simply shut off the front end and push the signal into the first mixer.

It makes sense that wouldn't work so great on 10 meters, where signals can be weak and local noise levels are lower than on the lower frequency bands, especially if you don't use a large antenna.
  7. N4ZHZ

dumb ----

i know what the damn ipo is but its good to know we have proud smartasses like you around to keep the rest of us informed on all that technical stuff.
  8. N4ZHZ

thanks tom just wanted to know why it just does it on 10 mtrs if you cn figure it out i sure would like to know thanks bob
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I seem to recall the IPO "gain" on my Mark V can be adjusted in the menu settings.

I also recall some "some" menu settings can be configured to function "band independant" of one another. For example, TX bandwidth settings can be configured to function in this way.

So basically, the menu settings you have configured on one band, may not apply on another band or such settings may be "band dependant."

So, it may possible your 10m menu IPO gain settings are setup in the 10m menu settings differently than the other bands are setup sort of thing.

Don't ask me what the menu item number for the IPO gain settings are off the top of my head exactly, but that's about all I remember about it at the moment. I'm not in my shack right now but i'm sure the user manual mentions it somewhere. For what it's worth, I do have this photo showing the IPO button on my Mark V though? :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. N4ZHZ

tom im sorry i called you a smartass that was intended for someone else SORRY
  11. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it stood for Initial Public Offering. Oh wait! That's Wall Street. This is the ZED. NEVER MIND!!!! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.