ad: elecraft

Invasion of the Control Freaks

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AA7EJ @ June 10 2002,17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I belive that the FCC rules are pretty clear - the content of an amateur transmission should be of non-commercial, personnal nature.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Right - they say SHOULD be, not MUST be. And again you're right - stating his personal opinion should not be an issue. But remember, most repeaters are private property, just like this web site, so if they owner says you can't talk about it . . . Sad but true.

Chris

2. K7PIG

K7PIG Ham Member QRZ Page

True, come to Wally's Wall, say it the way it is, you won't get beat up too badly.
    The language used is yours(their's) not mine. Be abit discrete in language though, you will not be ban or thrown in the garbage container.
    Wally's Whinning Wall, the Best of the Southwest.
    BTW, have applied for one of my original amateur callsigns from one of many held.

3. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

I just reread what I quoted this morning. It was early when I made that post.

Of course, we all know commercial use is prohibited. But as for non-commercial content, it's pretty well open. We know what is prohibited; anything else is basically legal. Maybe not in good taste and perhaps we should refrain, but I didn't see anything even remotely questionable was said in the original post.

Again, if you're using a repeater, you are using private property and should respect the wishes of the owner. But, they should be reasonable too.

Chris

4. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes jim, one great way to have fun.

5. W8FAX

W8FAX Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears to be a sign of the times that some folks just don't have much to do but lay and wait for someone to beat up or correct verbally. It's NOT just repeaters either. Take a look at all the ham reflectors that are around. Whether you post a question on the AM reflector, or comment on a question on the Collins reflector, or request info on the Icom reflector, or any other, and you run a high risk of :
    1. Being attacked by the repeater/reflector know it alls who will try to impart to you how stupid you must be.
    2. Personal email...see above.
    3. You will be attacked by the &quot;clik at large&quot;. These are likened to the gangs that hang out on 75 meters on &quot;their&quot; frequencies.
    3. A whole list of posts/comments that very quickly move from the subject to attacks on each other.
    4. Soon total war ensues with name calling, profanity, and so forth.
     I heard a war going on our local repeater the other day about the baptist church of all things. Sheesh.
     Wonder why new hams dont get on repeaters or post questions much or try to get into the many roundtables you hear on HF?????????

6. W5NIG

W5NIG Ham Member QRZ Page

The most interesting thing I've run across here (Dallas area, TONS of repeaters) was a heated discussion in the middle of the night of a religious nature.

I thought I would die when I actually had to turn off my radio and go about my business. My eyes just kept bulging and I kept lauging so hard!

They kept it civil. Barely, but civil. hi hi [​IMG]

I don't go in for all of that repeater 'god' garbage though. I see a tiny bit of cliqishness on a few repeaters but that's about it.

...I have to get along with the repeater owners but I certainly don't have to listen to what they say. Last time I checked (checking now) the frequencies belonged to everyone. The pair that that repeater is 'assigned' to is simply for overlap convience and not to cause harmful interference.

If I start a conversation or join a conversation and am not causing harmful interference or violating other FCC rules I have just as much right to that frequency as the repeater, pll tone or not.

...I could be wrong but I thought a guy, girl or club putting up a repeater was a SERVICE to the amateur community. (smiling)

...of course the repeater owner or trustees can feel free to shut down the repeater. Just as long as they don't do it while I'm talking (unless I'm violating rules) since that would be causing harmful interference. (grin)

...all of this, of course, is theoretical since I've never been one to stir things up on a repeater, never been to a repeater where people didn't like me and wouldn't hang out where I wasn't wanted.

...hopefully, in my hamming nebieness, I won't stir up too much trouble posting my opinion, hi hi hi!

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For RBO:

Technically, a repeater control operator can shut down the repeater at any time no matter what is being said. By doing so, he/she is not interferring with your signal since it is on the repeater input. He/she is controlling what is being said on his/her transmitter which is their legal right.

Now, I believe that the vast majority of control operators would only shut down the repeater if there was an apparent violation of FCC regulations or a malfunction of the repeater itself.

Since I have lived in the Dallas, Texas, area for over 35 years (since the only repeaters in the area were the 146.34 / 146.94 in Fort Worth, 146.22 / 146.82 in Dallas, and a low powered one in Denton on 146.34 / 146.94 and with a 146.34 / 146.94 in Tyler), I can say that most of the repeaters are pretty &quot;civil&quot;. There have always been cliques, but they usually will talk to other amateurs as well.

The original Dallas Amateur Radio Club 146.28 / 146.88 repeater spent the first several weeks of its life sitting in my garage when I lived in the Dallas County portion of Richardson (have been in the Collin County portion for over 30 years), that was about in 1970. When it was first put up, there were several cliques that formed. But, gradually, they &quot;faded away&quot;.

Anyway, you can find me on the RWK repeater on 147.120 + if I am operating on 2 FM at the time.

Glen, K9STH

8. W5NIG

Look foward to visiting with you Glen when I get the chance!

I love all of the repeaters in the Dallas area (hopefully my comments weren't misunderstood by others) and my only big complaint is that I don't have enough time to split between the different ones! (grinning) The W5FKN, W5FC, WA5FYI, W5NGU and W5AUY just to name a few.

...and for my weekend drive home early in the morning when everyone is sleeping and I'm tired after working 12 I can be sure to hear the same two OM doing their almost guaranteed 6:30ish sched. (smile)

...and your right Glen about turning off the repeater, I didn't think about it that way.
    M@

9. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I personaly would like to see more repeater operators linking their repeaters to out of state repeaters. It would be nice to get into Dallas from phoenix. of course if I want to talk to texas I got the HF option.(ten meters has been open into texas and elsewhere lately.) It just would be nice to see a real &quot;net&quot; set-up for the tech boys and the rest of us.

10. W5NIG

Actually now that you mention it I'm surprised that Dallas doesn't have a number of distance linked repeaters. I was in Houston last month and they had a few local linked repeaters with some other ones around texas. Kind of nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.