ad: portazero-1

Invasion of the Control Freaks

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Control is a good thing as long as it's not taken to far. I realize the need for keeping the language clean while operating your station, that goes without saying, but can anyone actually control the subject you talk about? Dose the first admendment not cover ham radio too? I made a statement on 2 meter the other day, and not one but several guys jumped on me saying I could get fined or get my ticket pulled for talking about that subject. So...here, I'll throw it out to you and I'll let you deside. I said "There has been a steady decline in popularity in ham radio for a varity of reasons, be it because of cell phone, internet or what ever. And the FCC more than likely made the testing easier, especially the CW to try and generate more interest from the public." Man oh man, a dead frequancy suddenly came alive with "You can't say that, you'll get your ticket pulled" and the like. They were double and triple keying over each other to chastize me, and it went on for a solid 30 minutes. I simply stated what I thought was the obvious. I mean, that's what got me interested. When the testing became easier, that's what perked my interest. It was at that moment, sitting there listening to a frequency of Hams dictating policy to me that I realized the real reason for the decline in the hobby...it's the Control Freaks! They were actually telling me what I could and could not discuss on an Amatuer frequancy. There can be nothing more distastefull to any real American than hearing somebody try to sensor and control your opinion about subject matter. Right or wrong about the subject is not the issue here, freedom to disscuss it is. There will always be Hams out there who think their license is some sort of badge giving them authority to dictate policy as they see it, and threaten to have your ticket pulled simply because they don't agree with you. To them I say, I spent 25 years in the military defending your freedoms, I've paid my dues...what have you done lately?

2. K7PIG

K7PIG Ham Member QRZ Page

As Col. Potter would say, "Horse Hockey."
    Lose a license for what you say and think(Not bad words) is BS. Sounds like those didn't like your subject matter and tried to scare you.
    BS / Horse Hockey.

3. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw nothing obscene, crass, or internationaly political about what you said.  Either they were kidding you or you offended them.  The latter not being illeagle given the lack of otherwise objectionable content.

So call em' like ya see em' and keep it clean.

73 de Craig.......N7CPC [​IMG]

4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

So when you made the above statement, Mister Guest, were your remarks peppered with the F***, S***, or M*****F***** words??

Other than that, my Crap Detector is going off yet again. This story sounds a lot like the one about the dood on the repeater who was threatening everyone, and had "inside contacts" with the FCC and ARRL.

Sorry. Not buying story as told. Please restate.

ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For W3SY, and addendum:

Error! Error! Error! It does not compute, Will Robinson!

Glen, K9STH

6. K7PIG

K7PIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You very Much.

7. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

Here's the sad thing about this original post: I can believe it did happen. The baloney detector is ringing loudly here too, but I've heard and had such things happen, so . . . it's not as farfetched to me.

Many folks on repeaters like to be like this. I've been invited not to use certain repeaters in the past because I tend to tell it like it is. Or at least my version of how it is! There are in fact repeaters that will run you off for saying something the owners don't like. And I could see many repeater owners not liking what the original post claims was said. Hams like QSL cards, and many of them like power even more. And I don't mean power as measured in watts.

The really sad thing here is that the post was from Mr Anonymous. I wish it wasn't, he'd have a whole lot more credibility. Anyone who has to hide while posting isn't going to generate much sympathy from me. But, truth be told, I can believe such an incident did happen.

Chris

8. KG6EJO

KG6EJO Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5ATX @ June 07 2002,19:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's the sad thing about this original post:  I can believe it did happen.  The baloney detector is ringing loudly here too, but I've heard and had such things happen, so . . . it's not as farfetched to me.  

Many folks on repeaters like to be like this.  I've been invited not to use certain repeaters in the past because I tend to tell it like it is.  Or at least my version of how it is!  There are in fact repeaters that will run you off for saying something the owners don't like.  And I could see many repeater owners not liking what the original post claims was said.  Hams like QSL cards, and many of them like power even more.  And I don't mean power as measured in watts.  

The really sad thing here is that the post was from Mr Anonymous.  I wish it wasn't, he'd have a whole lot more credibility.  Anyone who has to hide while posting isn't going to generate much sympathy from me. But, truth be told, I can believe such an incident did happen.

Chris[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The index page lists KD7RHE as the topic poster, It's possible his user account &quot;got broken&quot; &amp; he needs to register again.

It's happened to me TWICE in 30 days.

73 kg6ejo, Ted

9. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

W3SY has a crap detector?? Really!!!
    I am cetainly glad that is not a toy I have in my shack! I wouldn't be able to have a conversation with very many people without it going off. Hi Hi!!
    And I can believe what the author states. In larger cities and such there are many &quot;clicks&quot; that don't want anyone's opinion that might differ from their own, particularly on 2 meters where this happened. And, of course, certain segments of the HF bands are just as bad.

10. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I belive that the FCC rules are pretty clear - the content of an amateur transmission should be of non-commercial, personnal nature. Your original post appears that you have expressed personnal opinions.
    You have not violated this basic rule.
    If your opinion is not a popular one, that is a different story. I seems like that few of your &quot;oponents&quot; are not familiar with the concept of free speech. And they are free to do so.
    73 Vaclav AA7EJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.