ad: k1jek

Intruder Alert!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WU2E, Mar 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how many DHS employees are hams or even have knowledge. That's a good question and I'll see if I can find an answer. I can say from personal knowledge that I know of at least 6 that work with me are hams. I would say the SHARES people are probably at the highest percentage of hams in DHS and DHS does a lot more than just law enforcement. I have heard some talk, just talk no action, that DHS is looking at that role as any illegal communications might be viewed as terrorist. How they would build the capability who knows, but they would look for experience internally for any assets currently employed at DHS and then recruit to fill the rest of the positions. Of course they could always just hire and train HFDF monkeys who report to the CG or other DHS group with enforcement powers.

2. DL5JEX

DL5JEX Ham Member QRZ Page

If that would be the case, then it would suggest that DHS doesn't trust the ham community's self-policing of the amateur bands, as it has always been. Which, in my opinion, speaks volumes.

3. KD9DOY

KD9DOY Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC guys are still out there. Don't forget, alot of them are also Hams so they do care.

4. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think our self-policing role would change, but what we report might get passed on to the FCC who would pass it to DHS, or we might just report direct to DHS.

5. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that the crowd that blames intruders and bad operators has to use new hams as a scapegoat. Yet I heard bad operators on the usual bad parts of the spectrum for years. Face it, anyone with cash can get a transmitter. Just because the operator is on the air does not mean he or she is a newly licensed ham. Chances are good that the "bad apples" are unlicensed. Instead of dragging the dead horse of changing test standards and dropping of the Morse requirement out of the barn, spend the energy on getting together with other licensed amateurs to identify the bad operators, determine if they are licensed, and if not, provide the documentation to the FCC to have the operator shut down. Blaming the trash operations of a infamous few on newly licensed amateurs does nothing.

KF5TOT likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

W4RLR likes this.
  7. K9HY

K9HY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey ! All the cons- ervatives r-"cons" want less government , don't tread on me and all that other.
    So you get what you want! You'll have to live with it-unfortunately!

8. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently, you must have not gotten the memo on how they feel about political discussions here... :rolleyes:

9. K0WVM

Haven't we come across this same 'song and dance' before?

Budget cuts, scaling back field locations, etc... Late 80's - mid 90's ring a bell. It will get ridiculous again until they feel the choke chain needs to be yanked to reign in the hooligans out there. Starting to become a roller coaster of sorts if you ask me.

10. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

k7wvm is available Chad.

11. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It just doesn't make any sense. Why would someone build a spectacular radio station, put up a big antenna and then not bother to pass the ridiculously easy test!. With no license they cannot acquire QSLs, get a DXCC or WAS, and socialize in radio clubs. I highly doubt the PERP is unlicensed, he is just UNIDENTIFIED

12. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did anybody ask KB3MZQ if he knows who this guy is?

13. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

We currently have less government? King Obama doesn't want to spend money on the FCC. He needs the money to buy votes with the illegal aliens.

14. K0WVM

Cool! I may consider it if I am here for a while... Like the Ø setup.

15. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone recall the Official Observer?, you should have a one at your region, or contact ARRL eventually the FCC gets involved, then they become famous.