ad: UR5CDX-1

Introducing the Morserino-32, a New Way to Learn Morse Code

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0FEU, Feb 22, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right, that would be awesome. Not just because it would work with Morse tutors, but because it would allow Morse QSOs over the internet. I spoke with Wolphi, the developer of Morse Trainer for Android about the possibility of plugging in a key:

http://www.wolphi.com/ham-radio-apps/morse-trainer/

He suggested that via a headphone socket, latency would be an issue. As for USB, I don't know; as many phones are now going USBc only, and shipping with an adaptor, it would seem to be the way to go.
    de OE6FEG
    Matt

2. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I down loaded a free program called CWcom, but I needed some way to connect my straight key to it, so I used the control board from a old mouse soldered two wires to the left finger button, and I soldered connectors on the other end to connect to my Key. Works very well for practicing my sending, getting my spacing correct. It also helped me to get the numbers and letters down more solid. I started before that using paddles but switched to the straight key, I felt by doing this I would develop the proper rhythm. Happy I did. :rolleyes:

3. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

You should smack those drums a couple times after a pun!

4. EDDYSTONE

EDDYSTONE QRZ Member

For all those interested in Morse qso`s over the internet... CWCOM is an ideal program... written for Windows 95 it still works on the latest versions of Windows..... it can also be used on LINUX and MAC machines....

For download links, and How To connect a key to your computer/laptop plus all relevant information about settings and configurations, please visit the blog ..

https://morsepower.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

..15 pages of helpful information, in easy to follow step by step instructions, with explanation, and pics to assist you to get the best performance from the program...

CWCOM is ideal for residents of Care Homes, or places where antenna restrictions are severe and prevent cw enthusiasts from using, or improving, their skill..

VE7JBT and N7KO like this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Dancing Snoopy.jpg

EDDYSTONE and N7KO like this.
  6. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually play a glissando from low to high pitch on one of the timps if it seems called for. Also I have a rim shot sound on my phone. That way nobody has to make room for the percussion section.

7. K2BEW

K2BEW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a link in the original post to the website.
    They arn't selling that exact one anymore, but you can get on the mailing list to sign up for the new version that is to be released in the future.

8. M0FEU

The hardware is the same, but the firmware will be version 1.1 (available on Thursday). I copied this from the Morserino-32 website:

I missed the Kickstarter campaign - will I still be able to get a Morserino-32 kit?

Yes, but it will take a while (well, the Kickstarter backers also have to wait for a while). I will record incoming orders (just direct them by email to info@morserino.info ). I will order the components in batches, and whenever a new batch is ready to be shipped out, I will inform you that kits are available now, and about payment options. As soon as I see your money coming in, I will ship out the kits. Be aware that first kits ordered this way will ship likely in February, as first I have to deal with the Kickstarter kits! Prices for the time being will be the same as for the Kickstarter campaign! See the FAQ sectionfor details.

So, there is a bit of a waiting list, but that is all. The unit you see in the video is the unit that will ship. The new firmware works well on my unit so far. The new 'latency' setting has taken care of the dit timing issue; I can key at around 50 wpm with no more mistakes than is normal for me at that speed (way above my on air speed). I will hopefully make another video showing how to update the firmware via WiFi tomorrow; watch this space.
    Matt

1 person likes this.
  9. M0FEU

I finished the latest video this morning. In it I show you how to configure the Morserino-32 to become part of your WiFi network; how to upload a simple text file, and how to update the firmware.

There are lots of links in the description, I hope you find the video useful.

73 de OE6FEG
    Matt

1 person likes this.
  10. K2BEW

K2BEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your making an assumption that people only learn CW if they have too.
    I have found quite the opposite and it is rooted in psychology (and having kids). Tell someone they have to do something and they don't want to.
    CW use and the interest in it has done nothing but increase since the requirement was taken away, in my opinion, and I am one affected by it. I am a "no code" general and I have always wanted to learn CW and continue to work on it, but just have not put enough time into it yet. I can't wait to get one of these. I',m on the waiting list, which I also wanted to mention. I incorrectly told someone you could get on the list for the "future new version" of this, it was a firm ware update, and the waiting list for these is not that long, I was told a few weeks when I got put on it. Go to the website and postings in this thread, and you can send an email to get on the waiting list. 73

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  11. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you spreading the word, Yes this is more than away to practice your spacing. Good program for several reasons. I first learned about this program from a friends Uncle that lives in an assisted living home in England, it gives a away for him to stay in touch with his ham buddy's with out having an antenna that they do not allow. 73,

12. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I have heard people say over and over and I have found for myself, THERE IS NO SHORT CUTS when it comes to learning the code, it takes dedication and a lot of practice, practice, practice. Are there tools out there? yes they do help, at least some of them do, but some will just hold you back. In my opinion throw away the charts, do not try to learn by visual, Learn by sound, learn the characters at least 20 wpm, but widen the spacing between each characters, as you become comfortable or almost comfortable shorten the spacing to increase your copying speed. Do not forget to mix in the numbers . This process is training your brain to hear the sound of the characters, and then the sound of the word, the whole word. A row of characters put in the correct order and spacing has it's own distinct sound. You will learn to head copy.

I have learned to head copy some words, I am told this will just happen, first small words like THE, IF, CQ, RIG, WHEN, MY, UR, RST. I have a long way to go, but it has gotten to the point of being fun making CW contacts. I must also say learn to copy before you start trying to send. Sending is, for me anyway was so much easier than copying. Down load W1AW code practice files, it is free and you can not do much better than that. When you are pretty solid with your copy at around 10 wpm then in my opinion it helps to start practice sending, that is where the CWcom program can help, also try to find some one on the air to have a QSO with a couple times a week, start with a short QSO, for me I had such a pucker going on, my Afib would kick in and that kept my QSOs short. Don't give up good things take work and time, you will be happy you stuck with it. P.S. I am in my mid 60s and some what a slow learner, so that being said I have been learning code for some time, my journey is not over yet.

13. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe changing the frequency of the tone, which it seems to support, would help a lot with that.

14. KD0YMG

KD0YMG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried out varying frequencies with square waves. Just don't have the ear for it, I guess. Now, if there were a switch on that device, with a jack, so I could key my sine-wave CPO with it, that'd be the cat's pajamas.

15. M0FEU

There is a pretty good sine-wave output via the line out jack; not a perfect sine-wave, but close enough. You will need to plug something into the headphone jack (which outputs square-wave) to turn off the built in speaker. I may make a video soon showing how the Morserino-32 can be used for internet CW, preliminary tests are very positive. The main benefit is that the Morserino-32 produces a line out signal as well as a side-tone via the loudspeaker, so that there is no need to use splitter cables to hear what you are sending. Audio out from the pc can be fed into the unit so that it is read by the onboard reader.
    Matt

1 person likes this.