Introducing AlasKit

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by KL7AJ, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

After a couple of years of rumination with my partners in crime, we've decided to make a soft entry into the Ham-Made market. Our first product will be a crystal controlled 222 Mhz rig, tentatively scheduled for December 2012. Nothing fancy.....but enough to get something on the air on that band. Sort of like a Rockmite, but capable of SSB. Paul Graham, author of Hackers and Painters, and sort of our adopted guiding light for AlasKit, says that it's best to be number one in a field of one. Since nobody's making any "220" equipment any more, we won't have much competition. Since everything will be made in Alaska...including POSSIBLY the R.F. power transistors themselves, in the future...we can gets special dispensations from the State. (More on our proposed wafer foundry coming up).

We don't know where this will lead, but we think we have a small niche market. Maybe we'll eventually be Heathkit North. :)

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is COOL, and a good place to start. :)
  3. KL7AJ

Thanks Sue. Well, interestingly (it's about TIME), some of the Alaskan powers that be are recognizing that we need to start manufacturing some value added products up here, rather than just selling our raw products and buying them back in their finished form at grossly inflated prices. (Gee...what a concept!) We aren't talking about building Detroit up here....just some small manufacturing where it's cost effective, and transportation is a non-issue. Looks like we might get some help from some Native corporations too....they're looking for projects that will keep people busy and (gasp!) off welfare. Alaska is finally coming into its own in the field of manufacturing....and I think we can get in on the ground floor in a small way.

4. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is good to hear!!! This country can use people like you all who are driven to design and build good products and try new ideas! I wish you all up there the best of luck!!! Carl.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone use that band?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  6. KL7AJ

They will, once we start cranking these things out. If this is successful, we'll expand our line to include all 12 Amateur microwave bands. :)

7. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool Beans!

That would be an excellent place to put those, Good Bodies, Hands, &
    LOL!Limit them to 300 microwatts and 'let'r rip, 'Tater chip!' Then, they can
    have all the "twitty birds", noise-makers, and echo-boxes they want.

If anyone is caught running over power, excess modulation, or for just
    being plain stoopid, yank their radio and shoot them in the head. LOL!
    "Chute him, Liz, Chute 'em!"

Eric, it's a great idea. If you pay the Native tribesfolks a decent wage,
    that will do more good then ALL the welfare the govenrment has given
    them. Welfare takes away your pride and will to work. With nothing to
    do, folks drink and take drugs and that goes with ANY "race".

This is the start of the GREAT AMERICAN INGINUITY. Something that
    Washington can't take credit for.

8. W2STV

W2STV Ham Member QRZ Page

Make transistors for all the USA based "small guy" radio mfr's!

good luck, keep us posted..

73 de steve W2STV
  9. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget, there are still plenty of old boatanchor receivers, transmitters, & amps out there that need good, quality tubes as well. ;) Just think of the potential and I'd buy from an American maker.

10. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric best of luck to you and your partners in this venture hope it's just a start. I would personally try to support your new venture.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
  11. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric , something like this could give a bump to 220 , the only rig I have that does 220 is my HT , Yaesu 7XR , and I leave it in go box and never use , if I have something for mobile or base , I would populate 220 .
    I saw an interview a while back of an economist , and what really caught me was his talk about the only , THE ONLY thing that creates wealth in a country is manufacturing / processing of natural resources .
    That's not verbatim , and neither is another statement , but as my memory recalls , everything else is a drain on an economy , or a parasite .
    In other words , pay minium wage to management / bureaucrats etc. - another pet-peeve :)
    Now you got me waiting for another future goodie , I hope to see this and others AlasKit stuff , I can't wait .
  12. KJ4LVY

KJ4LVY Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding is that its tough to get a new business going. I wish you the best in your venture and hope that I'm wrong and its a breeze. I like the approach, finding a void and filling it. Don't forget to make right the four "p"s necessary for a successful business-- Product, Place, Promotion, and Price. My best to you and your coherts. Joe, KJ4LVY
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  13. WL7N

WL7N Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll be keeping an eye out for your new 220 rig from down here in Ketchikan. GL Eric, make us proud!

Mark WL7N
  14. AD6DX

AD6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

If this is a transverter with a stable frequency generation system, I'd love one for my FT-990, and at least 10w out would be terrific.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.