Interfacing a Kenwood TS-140S to Computer for New Digital Modes (FT8 etc)

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA2IRQ, Dec 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm trying to understand the best way to interface my older Kenwood TS-140S to a computer for use with the newer digital modes. I understand that full radio control may not be available with the older radio, but I'm not clear on what those limitations are in reference to the software being used.

I have a new computer coming for my shack (Lenovo mini tower that will have both USB and a serial port, running Win10Pro).

Is something like a RigBlaster sufficient? Or do I need to also install the IF-10C converter in the radio (an after market version is still available) and make a second connection back to the computer serial port? I'm assuming the RigBlaster would connect to the ACC2 jack on the back of the radio with the correct cable.

I'm OK with not having the computer change frequency/mode of the radio (although I guess it would be nice) and handling that manually- as long as the software/computer can handle PTT.

Thoughts from someone who has done this or is at least familiar with the older radios and newer modes?

2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought radio interface cables and the plug "jumper" from Tigertronics for the Signalink to use on my TS-680, which is like the 140 exc this one has 6 meters.

Pretty straight forward once the cables and plug are in place!

DId you need more info than that?

For frequency control, PIEXX makes a board that goes into the TS-140.

I have never bought one of these, but I have thought about it:

https://www.piexx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=21

3. KA2IRQ

So the Signalink, in your case, is the interface from the software/computer for handling PTT and all the audio, correct? And the serial port would interface via the Piexx unit for handling actual frequency and mode control?

4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Signalink does audio interfacing, the PIEXX board does freq control.

The Signalink needs just a USB port.

The PIEXX board has a serial RS-232 interface, so you need serial port on computer. Not sure if mode control is computer controllable on TS-140 via PIEXX board. Have to think about that, or go read about it.

Since I don't let the computer control the rig freq (yet!) I just dial in the freq or call it up from rig memory.

5. KA2IRQ

Perfect- thanks for the info and confirming what I thought. I know exactly what I need to purchase.

73!! de Marlo, KA2IRQ