Interesting straight key style.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K7MEM, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:14 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I regularly watch the war documentary films (WWI and WWII) on TV. Today I was watching one and they had a shot of a ship board CW operator sending a message. I found it interesting that the only finger that was operating the key was the pinky finger on his right hand. That must be one strong pinky.

W5BIB likes this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never heard or seen that, but, I do ofttimes operate a straight key with just the index finger of my right hand. The key must have a very light spring tension & very close contacts & a LOT of finesse) ;) (It's a very beautiful sound when done properly) - It's usually done in the European style, with the arm & elbow hangin' out in space & using mainly a finger & wrist muscle.

G7UQN likes this.
  3. G7UQN

G7UQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Could it be that the operator was resting their other fingers after long operation ?
    An ex Navy operator told me that during long periods your hands and fingers can get
    tired if you don't hold the key correctly. So much movement is going on that the brass
    of the key gets hot and feels soft!. Imagine what this does to your finger joints!

Thanks for the info. on the films will look out for the pinky operator.
    73, Glyn, G7UQN