Interesting connection between solar activity, propagation and earthquakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing spectacular, I assure you!

K8XG likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Such a cool engraving! Those truly were magical / heady days at the beginning of the Scientific Discovery era on earth

Dave
    W7UUU

K8XG likes this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

'
    '
    Good analogy, as Science is always magic to the folks not understanding it Hi Hi :)
    Science however is also A Faith with many; as many non scientific method so-called Facts are held to esteem by Academia

4. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

What so-called facts?

K8UA likes this.
  5. K8UA

K8UA Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely not, and will never be! Please don't take any personal offence, and I don't want this to divert into discussion of faith by no means - but science has nothing (and should never have anything) to do with faith! As Feynman said, "Religion is a culture of faith, science is a culture of doubt". You cannot believe and doubt at the same time, and if you don't doubt, challenge and ask questions - you are not a scientist.

W4RAV and N0TZU like this.
  6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But God is the ultimate physicist and artist.:D

K4AGO likes this.
  7. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the history of science is a history of doubt improving the science. For example, the discovery that bacteria are the cause of stomach ulcers displaced a previous "fact" about their cause. Copernicus caused scientists to abandon the fact that the universe was earth-centered. When I was young, I was taught that protons, neutrons, and electrons were basic particles. No longer a fact. As science improves there will always be supposed facts that turn out to be incomplete or even false. We should be grateful for and encourage that process. But there are also things that are well understood, like the value of pi and non-relativistic gravity calculations.

Re God, there are thousands of religions with adherents who will tell you that theirs is the one true religion. But as far as I know, the credos always start with "I believe ..." and not "I can prove ... " So, agreed, religion is entirely separate from science. Where religions overlap into science, for example in creation myths, my money is on science.

K8UA likes this.
  8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

He does not do what he cannot do.

I disagree with it being called pseudoscience. It is not any type of science. It's more like a faiery tale.
    John

9. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought relating to some denigrating remarks earlier in the thread, you do realize that without the energy ( read oil and gas ) you would still be driving in a horse and buggy , there would be no plastic ( read computers ) and I dare say no modern day sophisticated trancievers. Without all those things , and too many more to list, also no QRZ, forums and all. Why do modern day crusader "scientists" feel it is necessary to attack the things which have brought us to the convenient world in which we live. Just saying.
    Don't bother to flame me for this , I'll not be responding , it's almost of topic anyway.
    73 , KM5QS

K8XG likes this.
  10. VK5FPAC

VK5FPAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently I heard that natural HF transmissions can occur locally preceeding earthquakes! Maybe there is an electrical component and a space weather correlation?

KK4NSF likes this.