Interesting connection between solar activity, propagation and earthquakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

comparing the paper, which was published in Natural Science and your posted list of "predatory journals".... I don't see your point. Natural Science is a well respected, peer reviewed journal and certainly not on your list.

Now to be honest, I enjoy a good debate about scientific matters.... and do understand your points, but your trying to assert that "no wonder it wasn't published in a reputable journal" is off base.

Yes the USGS does reputable science, but then again so do many other scientific organizations, and often they reach differing conclusions. Calling research published in a reputable jounal "pseudoscience" begins to go from a debate over the science towards a rhetorical attempt to shout down those who you disagree with.

NE1U and VE7DXW like this.
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I was not aware that there exists an 'RF Seismograph'. Some of you may recall that I have a peculiar interest in RF affects relating to earthquakes. My father observed some very strange radio effects the night before a major quake in Southern California, and shared it with me and my brother. Since I've brought this up many years ago, I received many anecdotal tales relating to the same phenomenon. In at least three instances, my father heard this, prior to very large quakes - which is why he had a good idea of what he was hearing.

Indeed, it has been recorded by many professional observers. NASA detected ripples in the ionosphere over a major quake zone hours before the actual quake. LF and VLF effects have been reported before and during major seismic events. The 'echo' effect that I heard was recorded on WWV prior to a quake in Hawaii by a university team. These results have been studied by many different academics, including one at Cal Poly whose grad student contacted me for all the information I had. Russian scientists have a formal conjecture, which is that the effects are caused by gravity waves causing the ripples in the ionosphere, which in turn creates rapid Doppler shifting of HF and other radio signals.

So, I am encouraged that an RF Seismograph exists. I hope it provides evidence of earthquake precursors. The only time I've observed this was prior to a major quake, and that seems to be consistent with what others report. I joined the group for this.

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The first time you posted this subject I told you politely that it was nonsense. I've lost track of the number of times you have posted it since and it's still nonsense. No earthquake precursor can be identified by alleged changes in the ionosphere. Also solar wind pressure does not cause earthquakes.

K4AGO, NH7RO, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As to the quality of Natural Science: The publisher, SciRes Literature, is on the list of predatory journals which is what I referenced. Perhaps it doesn't deserve that. But, as a additional data points, consider:

The impact rating of Natural Science is less than one according to the Research Gate Journal Impact, which puts it at the bottom of rankings. Natural Science is not even listed on the Scimago Journal & Country Rank website.

I also can't find it on the Google Scholar h5-index top rankings, even though SciRes says that it was there a couple of years ago. (BTW, Google Scholar h5 rankings have been shown to be subject to manipulation by fake citations, not unlike fake page rankings on Google search itself. Maybe they fixed it, I don't know).

And, looking at the scope of articles accepted by Natural Science it's hard to find a field that they won't publish. In other words a generalist journal, hardly a specialized journal for geophysics, and I expect they can't do a good peer review on all those fields. It ain't Nature.

If you have ranking information on Natural Science to the contrary (and not just from the SciRes website), please share it.

Now, I am not trying to "shut down" anyone. VD7DXW is free to write whatever he wants and post it on QRZ subject to the site TOS. While I believe VD7DXW may be misguided and doesn't apply appropriate analysis to his data, I don't ascribe any nefarious intent to him. On the other hand, VD7DXW accuses me of being a con man and working for the oil industry in order to destroy the planet. I'm not sure how that would relate to the ionosphere and earthquakes even if true, which it isn't...

Finally, I stand by my opinion of the paper in Natural Science which VD7DXW cited above. I've already pointed out one glaring problem in a previous post, here's another: The authors claim a correlation of earthquakes with solar activity going back to the Maunder Minimum. I think it's rather clear that world wide reporting of earthquakes going back prior to the age of good seismographs is unreliable. Furthermore, the authors didn't do a statistical analysis on that data, not even a simple regression analysis.

K4AGO, NH7RO, KA0HCP and 4 others like this.
  5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Total nonsense. It sounds like a conspiracy theory.

NH7RO, KA0HCP and NE1U like this.
  6. VE7DXW

VE7DXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bob;

I would appreciate you from posting to my threads more than once... we heard you. Please let other people form their own opinion!
    Thank you;

Alex -VE7DXW

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

you must be looking at a different list than I am. The closest names to SciRes Literature on this list are:

and to "Nature":
    None of these appear to be the ones who published the article.

As far as Google Rankings go.... who cares? Google is a for-profit company, that is well known for "Ranking For Pay".

Now to be precise, I don't know if the article is right, wrong, brilliant or stupid.... but given the apparent offense you've taken with it, it looks to me like your problem is not with the presented data but possibly with either the presenter, or the journal.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, Alex, you don't get to "own threads". This is a public thread on QRZ. Bob and everyone else, just like you, has a right to express opinions, make comments, offer retorts and opposing views, agree with or disagree with any statements made by you or by others, all as long as it meets all terms of the Code of Conduct and Terms of Service of QRZ. And so far, every comment is well within the expected CoC rules.

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO, NH7RO and NE1U like this.
  9. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How is the correlation with the price of salt in Madagascar? Coal shipments from Australia? Inuit birth rate? Signs of the Zodiac?

Apparent correlations are a dime a dozen. Wake me when there is a proven mechanism that starts to support causality.

KX8C and NH7RO like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

One more try to keep it civil and on track...

K4AGO and NE1U like this.