Interesting Concepts in Power Outlets

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KG4CGC, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
  1. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of those are pretty cool. I don't care much for the more decorative ones but there are many that are more functional although the ones with the hangers would have to have the hangers to the side for my use so I could swap out what is plugged in. Having the hangers in front of the outlet prohibits hanging one while plugging another in.

I also liked the flip open one that held the cell phone while charging. I didn't care for the antlered or hands covers that will also hold the phone but I would think stick out enough to be easily broken off if you move furniture next to the wall.

The one that has the basic shape of a soccer ball, or football since it contains European outlets, reminds me of the old small child's toy with the red and blue side and shapes cut around it and yellow pieces cut to the shapes.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. NA4BH

NA4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

That is some pretty neat stuff.
  4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't they know the world is going wireless?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  5. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wireless power will never happen. A friend of a friend of a friend had a grandfather who developed a way to beam power through the air. The government took his idea and swore him to secrecy.

His neighbor Frank developed a carburetor that got 100 miles to the gallon. He was invited to Detroit in 1954 to demonstrate it, and was never seen or heard from again. Pretty suspicious if you ask me...
  6. KT4W

KT4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea of the wall cleats to wind up excess cord. The wall safe idea has been around for many years. The rest are somewhat novelty. There used to be an outlet that had the face openings turn 90 degrees in front of the contacts so it blocked kids from poking something in the holes. Haven't seen one for a while.
  7. W2PHD

W2PHD Ham Member QRZ Page

Blimey, now I'm afraid to release my powdered water idea.:(
  8. K8ERV

The holes or the-- no, I won't say it.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  9. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

not real familiar with Detroit, are you?

easy to die from WEFTN - Wrong Ethnicity For This Neighborhood.
  10. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to change everything to C plugs just to confuse everybody.
  11. K8ERV

I was thinking of plug nickels, but I guess they wouldn't be worth much.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  12. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

The 2008 NEC does in fact require residential receptacles to be tamper resistant. That consists of shutters that don't open unless simultaneously inserted on both sides. Most of the receptacles shown here do not meet the new code. However, some states have delayed portions of or the entire 2008 code for the time being.
  13. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

the thing I care about is the ability to plug in multiple wall warts. Where possible I set up Lambda power supplies and run everything from that. Still need a bajillion wall warts.
  14. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

1.4 VDC N batteries where bad enough.
  15. WB3JLA

WB3JLA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know some one who had a 220 volt air conditioner he wanted to run and only had two 120 plugs in his receptacle.

Are you ready for this?

What did he do?

I bet you can guess

He wired two 120 volt plugs together and a 220 receptacle together

110 + 110 = 220

Did it work ?

Don’t ask
  16. K8ERV

Actually I do this to get 240 volts for testing and it does work. I just don't tell anyone about the hidden iso trnsformer.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  17. WB3JLA

WB3JLA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This could work you see there is a clip you can break off and each plug could be feed with a separate 110 line
  18. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

How about adding RFI filtering so I don't have to deal with my neighbour's cell phone charger radiating noise all over the HF bands?
  19. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

My fav, I want one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.