Intentionally Transmitting Non Flat SSB Audio ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA7NIQ, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take your word for it. People have been running audio racks on ssb for decades. I had not heard of the term ESSB until the FCC started allowing the increased bandwidth.

You realize that most ESSBers don't like the 950sdx because without extensive modification you cannot really run a higher bandwidth on SSB. The internal DSP limits your transmit bandwidth to 3100 even though you can unlock the transmit filters.
    There is of course some "blow by" so there are some products that get through, but it is not a good way to good way to run that radio.

2. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand, I like to play too.
    A decent pair of used, broadcast quality, near field studio monitor speakers can easily be had for under 200 dollars. A pair of these small desktop monitors, used with any decent amplifier and an equalizer, can almost turn even the most squeaky voiced among us into "Walter Cronkite".

3. WS4B

WS4B Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC never suddenly "allowed" increased transmit bandwidth. The bandwidth issue became just that in recent years as more and more amateurs began experimenting with the relationship of quailty SSB audio in compairison to bandwidth. Two Hams with some help from the ARRL decided to petetion the FCC to limit phone bandwidth transmissions below 28.800 Mc to 2.8 Kc on SSB and 5.6 Kc on AM. IMHO the FCC ruled the right way. See the verdict below.

http://www.nu9n.com/images/FCC-DA-04-3661A1-final.pdf

Please see this link as well in terms of the love affair between the 950 SDX and ESSB.

http://www.voodoo-labs.com/index/sdxmods.htm

Again I don't really catagorize myself as an ESSBer anymore, yet I feel I have above average knowledge about the hobby within the hobby.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as that FCC ruling; what it did was to indirectly allow increased ESSB bandwidth by nullifying the admittedly vague 97.307(a) and (b) as it applied to ssb modulation and good amateur practice.

I have seen that Voodoo page, as I have a 950sdx.

5. KA7NIQ

OMG, Here is one that modifys the Kenwood TS 850 like I own. Hey, I am OK with the big Ameritron AL 1500, and PalStar tuner, thats for sure!
    He seems like quite the bright young man this Tyler!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure they did. To rule any other way would be to prohibit amateur experimentation, which would not be a good thing.

One of the purposes of the service is to experiment.

The funny part is, you don't need more bandwidth to sound absolutely excellent, and boosting low frequencies just makes most rigs create a lot more IMD. That doesn't sound excellent, it sounds lousy.

7. KA7NIQ

I just found this.

'Enhanced SSB' Bandwidths 'Extremely Inconsiderate,' FCC Says:
    from The ARRL Letter, Vol 22, No 16 on April 18, 2003

'Enhanced SSB' Bandwidths 'Extremely Inconsiderate,' FCC Says:

The FCC has sent advisory notices to four enthusiasts of what's become known as "enhanced SSB"--the practice of engineering transmitted single-sideband audio to approach broadcast quality. Letters went out earlier this month to amateurs in Illinois, Florida and New Jersey who are aficionados of enhanced SSB, also known as "upper wideband" and "lower wideband."

"The Commission has received numerous complaints regarding the operation of your station," FCC Special Counsel Riley Hollingsworth wrote Paul Christensen, W9AC, John Anning, NU9N, Anthony Latin, W4NSG, and Sareno Salerno, W2ONV, on April 3. Hollingsworth said complaints to the FCC alleged that the bandwidths of the stations' enhanced SSB emissions were "wider than necessary and contrary to good engineering practice."

"Wideband overly-processed audio, especially when coupled with the high intermodulation levels of certain amplifiers, results in the use of bandwidths extremely inconsiderate of other operators," Hollingsworth said. Such transmissions may violate FCC rules and may be at odds with what Hollingsworth described as "the expectation that the Amateur Service be largely self-regulated."

Occupying more bandwidth than necessary in a heavily used amateur band, Hollingsworth wrote, not only could generate ill will among operators but lead to petitions asking the FCC to establish bandwidth limits for amateur emissions. At present, the FCC imposes no specific bandwidth limits on various amateur modes.

Hollingsworth cited ยง97.307(a) of the Amateur Service rules that requires the signal of an amateur station not occupy "more bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and emission type being transmitted, in accordance with good amateur practice." Some amateurs have complained that enhanced SSB signals can take up 8 kHz or more of spectrum, cause splatter and unnecessarily interfere with other stations.

"The Amateur Service is not a substitute for the Broadcast Service," Hollingsworth said, "and the frequencies allocated to the Amateur Service were not allocated for a 'broadcast quality' audio emission or sound." Hollingsworth suggested the enhanced SSBers operate when the bands are less busy or on bands that are not heavily used.

The many complaints the FCC has been getting--20 or so per week--leads to the conclusion that the stations' enhanced SSB operation is having "a negative impact" on the Amateur Service, Hollingsworth said. He requested that the four amateurs "fully review the rules" and make sure their stations conform to them.

8. WS4B

WS4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes and as you can see for yourself, that ARRL notice was dated April 2003. The FCC ruling that I posted came out one year later. I don't want to get into an anti-ARRL tirade, but they were assisting the petitioners. Their efforts failed.

9. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are the nitro pills? I think I am having the Big One!

I couldn't agree with our token Ham Genius more. If they are having fun and not violating the rules, what's the big deal? At least their interests are not centered around purposely trying to irritate people.

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the good old days, you learned to modulate your young voice to drive the output of your SSB rig much higher.

I've gotten lazy, and I don't do that much anymore - spoiled by too many years on FM, I guess.

We have a local - a former radio personality - who uses broadcast mikes on 2 meters. He confers with Bob Heil on a regular basis. Man, he sounds good, but those who try to emulate him don't usually make out as well. He can discuss microphones for hours, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.