Intentionally Transmitting Non Flat SSB Audio ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA7NIQ, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Back on topic, I was browsing W8JI's web page for antenna information, and found this. I totally agree. I hear so many operators lately running transmitted audio with bass and treble both turned up. Besides sounding stupid in my opinion, I often trace sources of splatter to these Lids.

WideFi or Enhanced Audio

Enhanced SSB audio is a generally bad idea, since it adds and boosts unnecessary lows and highs. Audio response flattening brings levels of unnecessary low and high frequencies up, and this rapidly increases power level in unwanted off-frequency products compared to normal communications audio. The frequency difference between lows and highs is wider, so the "junk" extends further than normal. The level of lows and highs are significantly stronger than levels in normal communications audio, and this makes IM products much stronger. As a matter of fact, energy in IM products does not follow a linear increase as base and treble are increased! Unwanted power on adjacent channels increases at several times the rate of the power increase in base and treble!

Make no mistake about it, enhanced SSB or Hi-fi SSB audio, even with perfect "brick wall" filtering, is always going to have significantly more unwanted energy on adjacent channels when compared to regular communications audio through the same system.

Many of the radios popular with the ESSB crowd are among poorer radios for IM performance! My own opinion is Hi-Fi audio is OK on emptier bands, but we should do all we can to discourage enhanced audio on crowded bands or near weak signal areas."

There is a whole lot more technical information about this on W8JI's website.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, it isn't just the All Knobs Right scenario that bothers me. Add in the absolute over use of QSL, Roger That, and now, of all things, LOL. Geez. Are we trying to turn amateur radio into a social network of, and for, LIDs? Sure as Sam Hill sounds like it to me!

3. KA7NIQ

Those Bassy sounding Hams I find hard to tune in SSB, and they don't sound natural.

I was laughing my azz off the other day. There were a bunch of them on 20 meters last week, and it seems one of the "ringleaders" of the ESSB Crowd got some new, "more accurate" headphones, or so he claimed. He was not giving out his usual "You Sound Wonderful" Audio Reports. It was amusing for awhile to watch that entire frequency of aging baby boomers going nuts, trying desperatlely to adjust their transmitted audio to please this guy and his new headphones. The guy with the new headphones was a tough and demanding taskmaster, and was actually telling the other Hams to crank in some reverb, what EQ band to adjust, etc, etc, etc. He gave the term "Net Control" a whole new meaning!

My 30 year old Son who is not a Ham, came into the shack and heard all the ruckus then said "Dad, are all Hams obsessed by the way they sound " ?
    I said "No Son, Thank God, not all of us are obsessed with the way we sound".

4. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

Why do you feel the need to belittle the way a fellow amateur enjoys their hobby? Im my opinion CW/digital modes are stupid and boring but that doesnt mean im going to make a post mocking it.

ESSB is just another option for amateurs to experiment with. I personally enjoy it and have learned and still learning alot about it.

Most people who ridicule another person or group tend to do it out of jealously.

5. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I fully support experimentation on Amateur Radio. If asked I will support ESSB for that reason.

However, W8JI and others are quite correct in that ESSB signals are prone to cause interference, through both excessive bandwidth and more importantly, the generation of IMD. CW and the digital modes; or even a properly configured AM transmitter which uses 6khz but will not transmit excessive inter-modulation distortion, are not inherently "dirty"
    That is an engineering fact, not ridicule.

As for jealousy, I hardly think that many experienced, technically oriented hams are going to be jealous over unlocking filters and adding front end processing. The real skill would be to get hi-fi ESSB like audio within 3khz and without IMD.;)

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  6. KA7NIQ

I see it as a growing Cancer in Ham Radio, especially if used on a crowded band, or under weak signal conditions. I sat and watched back in the 70's when Roger Beeps and Echo Boxes first started on CB. As more and more people told the idiots using these devices "That sounds cool", more and more of them started popping up, until you have on CB what you have today.
    As long as Hams keep encouraging some of these Lids, it is my opinion this Cancer will grow.
    My Elmer would have beat my azz if I ever thought of transmitting the kind of signal some of these Lids transmit.
    And if he and some old hams I knew were still alive today, I am sure their position would echo mine.
    Increasing bass and treble in transmitted audio increases IMD distortion, and increases the potential for interference to others, as does intentionally widening the SSB transmit bandwidth.
    It has no place on a crowded band.
    Just as us Hams demand great receiver performance in our radios, maybe we should also demand low IMD numbers in our transmitters.
    And we certainly should not do anything to increase distortion, no matter how "good" it sounds.
    Ham Radio is not playing electric guitar where we deliberately introduce distortion by using a Fuzz Box, or intentionally drive a tube amplifier into distortion to get "that sound".

7. KJ4VOV

KJ4VOV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll disagree with that last statement. In my experience it's very seldom out of jealousy. Most of the time it's because it is ridiculous, and thus deserving of ridicule. The second most common reason I've found for ridicule is out of frustration, because the person, activity, or object is annoying or making it difficult for you to enjoy something you're doing. One example would be the car parked on the street outside with the thumping bass, making it difficult for you to carry on a normal conversation in your living room. Very often, IMHO, using ESSB on a crowded band is exactly like that. The ESSB station is parked "in the street" 3 or 4 kc away from your "living room", where your're trying to have a simple QSO, but the IMD and excessive bandwidth make that impossible for you.

8. KA7NIQ

Last edited: May 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.