Installing the Hustler 6BTV - From Start to Finish

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ACL, Sep 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K7VNE

K7VNE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video but I have a question other than that pertaining to the Hustler...I would like to know what program or web site
    you used to obtain your signal reports? I use PSKreporter but, they have been experiencing some reliability problems lately and
    I would like to have a back up.

K7VNE

K5ACL likes this.
  2. W7TNA

W7TNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I put in a 5BTV.
    Look at my pictures W7TNA on QRZ it works great and may be another option if you live in a dry area.

3. DU3LA

DU3LA Ham Member QRZ Page

They are called elevated radials and they will have to be cut to resonate for each band.
    Elevated verticals work very well!

K5ACL likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One great idea I saw to save space with resonant elevated radials is to use zip cord (speaker wire) and trim one of the two wires for one band, and cut the 2nd wire for another band. You can get away with having fewer wires sticking out that way, because two are connected at the feedpoint, and stuck together, yet separated all of the way down.

K3RW and K5ACL like this.
  5. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like WSPR to me.

K5ACL likes this.
  6. KA1SPY

KA1SPY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Going to mount mine next to or in the 272 acre lake I live on. Had mixed results mounting it in the yard. Worked with 16 radials of different lentghs but my end fed multi band out performed it significantly. Going to put the recommended set of radials into the lake with a good mount and see what happens...have to wait until next month when they let down the lake. Will keep you posted. ka1spy Jack

K5ACL likes this.
  7. OZ2SF

OZ2SF Ham Member QRZ Page

An interesting video of the Hustler 6BTV.
    I do have one as well, however, living on 8th floor, i have no possibility for radials.
    The Hustler is mounted on the bancony on a homemade tiltplate . It works very well on all
    bands with a very nice SWR. Even on 6 meters.
    To ajust the 6BTV i used a homemade antennaanalizer. It shows very good conditions,
    however on 30 meters the best performance is in the low end of the band.
    In "the bottom" i have an Elecraft KX3 updated to 15W power.
    Specially on 40 meters i have very good resulte even with QRP 1 W.
    Nice antenna and very usefull
    73 es cuagn de OZ2SF Svend

K5ACL likes this.
  8. K7TH

K7TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video and installation. I have the 6-BTV installed on a small city lot with LMR400 and 1000ft (333 meters) of pvc coated #14 AWG wire and three 8 ft. ground rods with zero RF feedback. Only 80m is the tighter band, but for $8 I purchased a second whip for easy change out to 75m. I purchased the tilt base and radial plate from day one and have NO regrets. To save $$, I did use electric fence wire to act as staples in early spring for the installation and by May the grass covered the radial field..... The unit has been up three years with little maintenance. I also use poly-strand guys using dog run stakes to keep it from moving in high winds. My backyard is a little damp after rains that will change the frequency a bit, but works well even with two feet of snow outside.....highly recommend it for those wanting to be on six bands......YES, radials DO help the antenna! I found 16 radials to be an absolute minimum which uses up 500 feet of THHN wire. 73's from K7TH Gary

K5ACL likes this.
  9. K5ACL

K5ACL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Rob, & thank you. I do plan on guying it, i was previously using one of those rings that are made for a military mast section but it was a bit too large, suppose I should get a ring that fits properly! Being ground mounted it's surprisingly VERY sturdy and has held up well 'un-guyed' in some pretty heavy wind storms, but i'm well shielded as you can see surrounding my backyard. Still... i'm putting some guys on it!

I've seen a few YouTube videos online with folks installing them on the roof... if it were that high, i'd rather do an 'elevated' vertical of some sort - though that does get quite ugly up on a roof when you start making radials for 6 bands, lol.

I actually installed this just after Harvey blew through. The base was in the ground already though, we got around 7 inches here. I'm in the 'Oak Hill' ARC :)

10. K5ACL

K5ACL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad it's working well for you! I would suppose it's acting more like a vertical dipole in that type of configuration? I've even heard of hams having 'too-good' of a ground for this particular antenna. Austin has relatively decent soil for verticals, though not the best. Very rocky, lol.