Inside the Ghost Ships of the Mothball Fleet

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by N0RP, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N0RP

N0RP Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey! I see my coffee cup!

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good photographs and quite interesting to see, however I don't condone the fact they had to trespass to get them. I wonder if they even tried to get permission first...

I didn't realize the Sea Shadow was part of the mothball fleet. It used to operate out of San Diego in the 1990s.

38448587_zesZ6-XL.jpg

4. WV6U

WV6U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty amazing photography. I work from a building overlooking the Bay and saw SS Lincoln being hauled in (stern first!!) to the Bay and then out, apparently from this graveyard of ships.

5. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first saw the two pictures of the Sea Shadow, I thought these guys may have made a major mistake by posting them. I figured that the Sea Shadow was being stored there in a secret location which they just disclosed. But as we all now know it has been decommissioned and they are looking to give it away or scrap it. Maybe the Sea Shepard guys could pick it and put it to use.

6. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

the fishing is great around those ships

7. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

If these ships are ready for the scrapyard why are they so concerned about people going out to see them ? I know there are those who believe they could be blown up but why would anybody want to do it, or specifically, why would a terrorist want to waste his time causing an explosion on these old useless ships. He wouldn't, it would serve no purpose.

The photography is excellent and there are similar photographs to these on the English Russia pages. Old Russian submarines, disbanded naval, airforce and army bases all over Russia, army trucks and missile silo's, radar bases in the Far East which were watching US activities in Alaska. There are abandoned ships frozen into ice 6 ft thick, and old Russian Air Force Bears just left to rot. Looking at all these photos you get the impression that because the country is so vast they just walked out of the door and wrote off these places and equipment.

i'll come back again and look at these photo they're so interesting

8. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

In the late ‘50’s a fellow who lived just south of town went to the grave yard of ships and bought himself a WWII PT boat for something like $100.00.

It was nearly intact except for armament. He rented a truck and brought it home to put in lake Amacoy where he owned a few lots and had a cabin right on the lake.

The boat sat up on piles of railroad ties for years while he got it ‘sea worthy’. It sat there for many years until one day he finally launched it. He spent the rest of the day with other smaller power boats trying to drag it far enough out into the lake that it would actually float.

Even though PT boats have a very shallow draft where he had his dock was too shallow. Once he finally got the boat under way the propellers did a fine job of digging out a trench in the silt so he could dock his boat. There was a lot of stinking muck splattered all the way from his dock to the cabin and on the front and roof of the cabin.

He had converted the inside to where a 5 star hotel looked like motel 6, or maybe that fine establishment Pat MHZ stayed at on his way home.

He painted it the original battle ship gray with genuine navy surplus paint, and had put the PT-109 designation on it but had to remove it once the right folks found out about it. He tried to rename it Phantom 109 but the authorities didn’t go for that either so he renamed it “The Gray Ghost”.

The large original engines used a lot of gas just blippin around the small lake. So he removed them and put in a pair of fuel injected Chevy 350 engines. Finally one day he rented another truck and took it to his property on lake Superior where I guess it still is.

9. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeez - I recognize most of that equipment in the radio room - gotta love the upholstery repair
    The bottom pix is probably the wardroom

10. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member QRZ Page

2nd picture down - astronomers - is that the little dipper top - 1/3 from left?

11. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think terrorism is the issue for restricted access but more safety and liability. Some of those decks appeared rusted almost through and possibly unsafe to walk on. And what's to prevent someone from falling down an ammunition hoist or elevator shaft? No, to allow the public on these ships would probably require spending as much or more than it would cost to return the vessel to service. And then the attraction would be gone...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  12. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonder how long that "broom" has been there?

13. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, probably due to the asbestos. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.