Inexpensive Panadapters for Select Radios.

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by KA9MOT, Dec 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Better? Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. KA9MOT

Some other changes you might notice.

Out with the RG-174 and in with the Military Spec (whatever that means) RG-316. Teflon tough and expensive, but it's worth it!

I am no longer using the Newsky dongle. I've moved on to the Generic 820T2 dongles. They are more stable and run cooler than the Newsky dongles.

I've changed my eBay pricing to reflect their fees. I was eating their 10% fee because the majority of my business in done there. I was hoping more folks would move over to the website. Hopefully the new prices will push them toward the better prices. I paid eBay $3900 last year. That could have paid for one hell of a nice radio. So, if you insist on eBay, it will cost you 10% more.

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the olde code pointed to URLs that had spaces in them.

KA9MOT likes this.
  4. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Things that concern me about this product:
    1. Seller claims, "Several hams ... have stolen my product". The complaint is regarding theft of intellectual property. Yet, the seller's web site is full of photographs stolen from multiple radio manufacturer's web sites. Each purloined photograph is a separate copyright violation.
    2. Seller creates commercial-grade software, yet states in this listing, "Please bear with me as I try desperately to make my site more presentable. My skill levels are lacking...". I ask myself, "How can this talented software engineer create such professional software, and not be proficient at creating a simple web page?" It's like an Indy car racer who can't pass the driver's license exam.
    3. Seller provides no photographs of hardware (cables, adapters, CDs, etc.) included in the kits.
    4. Seller provides no diagrams showing how the included hardware is utilized.
    5. Seller provides no explanation anywhere how to use the product.

KK6QMS likes this.
  5. KA9MOT

Whew! Good thing you caught me.
    If your unsure, don't buy my product. No biggie.

Because I do not wish to mislead anybody, please note.
    I do not write the software. I provide links to the software because that is what I have permission to do.
    I have detailed instructions explaining exactly how to set that software up that come with the purchase of my system.

I'm not sure what I've done to offend AG6ZZ so badly, but I don't care either.

W9FTV likes this.
  6. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not offended at all. I read the entire ad and the entire web site, and have concerns based on the limited information provided in them.

I'm very interested in a panadapter solution. However, before opening my wallet, I want to be certain I know exactly what I'm buying, and how I would use it.

It appears clear to me in the ad and web site the seller is the purveyor of the software. Now, he refutes it. Well, instead of getting defensive, I hope he will take it as constructive feedback, and update the web site to address all my concerns. It would be a win for everyone, most especially himself.

I can imagine others are hesitant to purchase something online with no stated return policy or warranty without knowing exactly what they're buying. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have spare funds to spend on things which may turn out not be suitable to their personal needs.

KK6QMS likes this.
  7. N7AHE

N7AHE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Purchased one of Steve's panadapter kits for my IC-7410. Very easy to install and works well. The hardest part was removing the 18 screws that hold the transceiver covers on.

Steve's step by step set-up instructions for the free 3rd party software worked perfectly. He includes some helpful Q&A tips including calibration of the SDR frequency using WWV. Nice product!

KA9MOT likes this.
  8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The kit is convenient. Especially for someone with limited KSAs

Two less expensive alternatives for DIY
    I've done both and use '2'.

1. Buy a cheap DTV dongle for about $8 shipped from China and modify it.
    http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-direct-sampling-mode/
    Download a copy of

HDSDR
    This approach gives a lot(about 2MHz) of bandwidth but has limited dynamic range.
    It's fine for a panadapter but not very good as a second receiver.
    Total is a few hours hours and $8 to $20 depending on your junk box.

OR

2. Order a softrock board with the appropriate crystal for your IF. About $30
    Order a decent quality USB sound adapter. Startech ICUSBAUDIO2D
    is about $30-$35, 24bit, 96kHz.
    Download a copy of

HDSDR
    This will limit you to about 90kHz of pan but provides a very nice 2nd receiver.
    Total is a few hours and $75 to $85 depending on your junkbox.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4

9. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love these. I have purchased a couple and had customers purchase them too from my recommendation. The DVD instructions that came with the ones I bought were great.

KA9MOT likes this.
  10. N1KTJ

N1KTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

ordered via ebay (must be your last advertisement). will see how it works for install and use. Thanks for making it available.

KA9MOT likes this.