In the Olive Garden

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K2CQW, Nov 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Any hints on how to decode Olivia with fldigi? It works fine with psk31. A Facebook post urged us to go to 14.0729, use 8/250. Saw gunk on waterfall, heard noise. No decode. I don't have time, energy or patience to try each 8 jilion flavors of Olive Oyl, has anyone been to this spot?

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always get the endless pasta bowl, but that's just me. :)

Seriously, I don't recall doing anything special to get FLDigi to decode Olivia...just be sure you're trying to decode an actual Olivia signal and not something else...

W7UUU and K9ASE like this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am working on getting fldigi running - assembling an interface now.

I found this -

Fldigi offers several ways to identify the operator or mode that is being used. This is particularly useful when using a hard to recognize mode such as Thor, Olivia or MT63.

And this dialog box in Configure -

Fldigi RSID configuration.jpg
    The way I think this works is you can control RSID on both the transmit and receive end, on a per-mode basis in Fldigi. If both ends of the communications are using it, the feature is supposed to help you identify the mode being used. However, if the other guy doesn't have RSID turned on (or if his software doesn't offer it), then you won't get any assistance from this.

W4NNF likes this.
  4. K2CQW

I saw that in config but I guess the other guys don't use it. Thanks & 73

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the mode is labeled G. :rolleyes:

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no, they probably uploaded a virus to your rig. You won't make any contacts and you will have the sudden urge to buy useless stuff. /Sarcasm

7. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

One can look at an Olivia signal and count the tones (e.g. 8) and determine the bandwidth (e.g. 250). But I can't tell Olivia from Contestia. If it looks like Olivia 8/250 and won't decode, I switch to Contestia 8/250.
    [​IMG]

KJ4VTH and KD4MOJ like this.
  8. K2CQW

Ooh, ooh, stop me before I order a DMR ht!

KJ4VTH likes this.
  9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Other popular Olivia modes would include 8/500, which is what we and a lot of others use on 80 meters most of the time. Listen around 3583.5 (USB dial freq) in the early evening - lots of Olivia nets there. There was some activity on 20 above 14.100 using really wide Olivia, like 32/1000, but I haven't heard anyone there for a while. Here are some more frequencies to try -http://hflink.com/olivia/

And yes, particularly if using an unusual mode, the RSID really helps.

K2CQW likes this.