In Canada, please recommend a source for a fair priced 12-14V Lithium-based battery?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE3GZB, Jun 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a neat little FT-991A recently and if I combine this with an Alexloop I got some time ago - plus my bicycle - portable field work comes to mind.

There's a nice abandoned industrial development area not far from me, roads are laid in but the land is field and hills so it looks like an ideal spot. But picking a trusted battery supplier can be a minefield.

Please recommend - in Canada - a trusted fair priced supplier.

A lithium-based battery is preferred but I'm willing to go with a Gel cell if need be. The Ah ratings should be at least 8 to 10. Even at just 20W the FT-991A draws nearly 8A and I figure I don't want to spend more than an hour among the mosquitoes.

Thanks and 73s,
    VE3GZB

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Have you tried the battery department at Canadian Tire?

They probably have or can get what you need. Many recreational sports vehicle batteries for watercraft, 4 wheelers, mopeds, etc. are now using lithium batteries.

Sounds about the right amperage you need and lithium cell batteries are sooo much lighter.

Here's another Canadian supplier..

http://www.getlithium.com/3a-Lithionics-RV-lithium-ion-batteries.html

Cycle World Superstore in Mississauga would be another good place to check.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    VE3GZB likes this.
  3. VE3GZB

Thanks.

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

what amp/hour rating are you looking for.
    I have been using digikey.ca to get SLA batteries for a few years.
    easy to order and it will be delivered fast to your door in a day or so
    They are pretty forgiving too
    If you're only looking for 1 hr use one of these might not get too heavy in a back pack
    I used a 3aH on a 5W 2M beacon for a couple years and solar charged it.
    I got about an hour out of a 25aH battery when I first got my 9100
    I'd suggest lipo but $$$$$ and after having a battery blow one of my rc planes apart,
    not sure I'd want to carry that type of firework around

5. VE3GZB

I also have a Digi-Key account. I’m looking for at least 10 Ah.

I compared Digi-Key with a local supplier here in Guelph and today I ended up getting a 12Ah AGM battery from the local supplier.

Thanks for the help!
    73s, VE3GZB

6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious as to your LiFePo failure; I have a 30ah one strapped to my 706...

7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=4&osCsid=2ldct6n34ihnipn0oqu3pq0tq7

We just had a discussion last week about the advantages of LiFePO4 batteries used in Electric Vehicles.

For the same price as an AGM battery you can buy an EV battery that is 1/4 the weight, 6 times the capacity and has 100 times the cycles. They can be charged with ordinary smart chargers that would be used with an AGM battery. They don't explode like Lithium batteries, and don't leak or gas like lead acid batteries. They maintain a level 12 volts, and can be discharged to 80%.

"Lead Acid batteries are Dead!'

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    NH7RO likes this.
  8. KB4QAA

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...ucts_id=179&osCsid=2ldct6n34ihnipn0oqu3pq0tq7

60 Ah, US$81, 2 kilos/4.4 lbs, Just a tad thicker than a box of Russell Stover Candies!

9. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KB4QAA

OK. There are others in the product line that are 12V.

The important thing is getting the word out that LiFePO4 batteries are available in small sizes at low cost!

NH7RO likes this.