Impedance matching transformer

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W6OGC, Apr 3, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many resistors out there that look like 1 and 2W carbon comp that are actually wirewound. These showed up in the 80's when real carbons became scarce as many US companies stopped production and our fine Asian friends became fraudulently creative.

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've also used resistors that looked like they might be inductive, with a spiral underneath the paint, that proved to be useful in resistive attenuators up to 225MHz. No substitute for doing the measurement.

Zack W1VT

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using transmission line Z matching for my sigle band FW Loops for over 30 years at different QTHs. They are easy to make and don't have any worries of loss like a toroid core xfmr could possibly have if made of unknown materials.
    I just like easy and reliable methods :D

4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

So do I, all things being equal, but first I'd like to know whether things are equal. I'm working on building this more so I won't be as dumb for the rest of my life as I was last week, than because I believe it is the very best or easiest way to do it.

When I started this project, all I knew about toroids were they were round, and usually had wires wrapped around them. I'm not using unknown materials, BTW. T-130-2, wire, etc.

Once I satiate my curiosity and see how these things work, I can make a coax match pretty easily, if necessary.