IMD and S/N

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K9AAN, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1MSG

W1MSG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm so paranoid now I am constantly checking all my settings. This thread has been a wealth of info and I am pretty confident my equipment was doing Ok.

I have tried some of the suggested setups, but like I have said before, everyones stuff is different. If I go over 13 or 14 on my speaker volume my ALC starts climbing like crazy.
    I would love to get someone from this thread to check what my signal lokks like, I have had some decent reports with my IMD between -26 and -30db and a nice narrow stream, so I must be doing something right for a change hehe.

2. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

The automatic limiter control (ALC) reduces the transmitter gain when a signal peak, that would have created a square wave top is detected. This is normally on when using the compressor.

3. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

"quote" the episode was very embarassing to me because I emailed a screenshot to him, then figured out the issue was on my end.
    Can you say "follow up email?".
    I have done that and am glad they couldn't see my face! :eek:

Some of my best ham friends were a product of operator error... mine!
    I learned early on that the good hams outshine the bad ten fold and a answer to your questions are usually just a PTT away.

4. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good

Craig, I have learned a few things from this as well. I really appreciate the detail to help understand some of the, I guess you could call "quirks?" I think the bottom line is if you are getting reports of 599 and no one mentions a problem in the 'Fall then you have your equip. set up pretty good. Go have fun and maybe I will catch you on the bands one day soon. GL

5. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

No-one seems to have mentioned the KK7UQ IMD Meter. I have one of these and as long as I am likely to want to use PSK31 I would not be parted from it. It is the best way short of using a monitor scope to be sure that you are transmitting a clean signal.

6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever the technical specification, if somebody is using too much power, with an S metre reading of 9 plus it causes problems for people. One can get round the world on 25 watts, without a distorted transmission, there is no need for excessive power using PSK, the mode doesn't require it

G0GQK

7. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Completely agree. As I've said many times in these forums (and over the air), it's a great little tool. Particularly when you stray away from the center of the audio passband.

Bill

8. kathleenp980

kathleenp980 QRZ Member

Thanks you for the post. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.