ad: ProAudio-1

IMac and WSJT-X multiple instances

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by WB0KSL, Mar 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. WB0KSL

WB0KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

The documentation for WSJT-X indicates that multiple instances may be invoked using a command line parameter. On a Win machine, this can be set up easily by editing the program shortcut. On my new iMac, it would seem that either starting the program from a terminal command line with the rig parameters, or possibly a shell or script, must be used. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way? I don’t really need to run more than one copy at a time, but I would like to start WSJT-X configured for any of my three rigs. Comments or suggestions? Thanks.

73 de wb0ksl, John

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you're correct in that it would need to be invoked from the command line, but I've never tried it on macOS. You might want to reach out to John (G4KLA) who handles building the macOS version of WSJT-X: he may be your best source for guidance on this, unless someone else here has tried it.

73 and let us know how it works!

Dave

3. WB0KSL

Dave,

Thanks. I may experiment a bit with the “Automator” utility in macOS, but I suspect the command line will be where I end up. If I make progress, I’ll post again.

73 de wb0ksl, John

4. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure if it is want you want: What about a compiled Apple Script like:
    Code:
    do shell script ¬
        "/Applications/wsjtx.app/Contents/MacOS/wsjtx --config Test"
    ???

K3DCW likes this.
  5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That would probably work, Tom. I hope John sees this.

6. WB0KSL

Yes, thanks Tom. I will try that. I think that approach can be rolled into the “Automator” method. If so, that would produce a desktop icon which would run the script, start the program, and pass the parameters. Right now, I am pulling my hair over the macOS not passing unique identifiers for multiple sound devices through to the program(s). I have two Icoms and one Yaesu that each have onboard USB sound/cat control. All produce the same “USB Audio CODEC” label! Thanks again for the shell/script suggestion.

73 de wb0ksl, John

7. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page