ad: wmr-1

I'm going to Ireland!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2AFV, Jul 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It'll give you the Schlitz!

NL7W likes this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Both of our trips to Ireland we did basically the same thing. We rented a car and drove around from B&B to B&B. We really enjoyed the trip! We plan to go back once our girls are a little older. As K7TRF said, the roads are quite narrow and you do need to pay attention.

My favorite was driving in the western part of Ireland, especially around Connemara.

It didn't take long at all to get used to the roads and driving.. We basically started right in the middle of Dublin so you had to learn pretty fast the rules of the roads. Traffic cirles. Lots of them. Sheep. Lots of them. :)

I did bring an HT over, but there was maybe a handful of times I could hit a repeater and much like repeaters here.. nobody was around

Enjoy the trip! Enjoy the scenery!

3. KD2AFV

KD2AFV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate all the input, and the suggestions on what to see while we're there. We'll definitely try to check some of them out. We are spending a week there and my ace in the hole is my XYL. She spent the better part of a decade living in Australia. So between the pubs, driving on the other side of the road, and the fact that she hardly drinks.

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful, especially on the corners.

speed-limit-review-ireland-2013.jpg

KB2FCV, NL7W and K7TRF like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If she hardly drinks...did they kick her out of Australia?:p:)

Have fun.

My daughter and her new hubby just took their honeymoon this May (2 mos ago) and it was a 14-day cruise around EU, including spending a couple days in Ireland. I have pics of them at the Guinness brewery, where I understand they drove in but walked out...

I can post those tomorrow when I have time to do that.

If you visit the Blarney Stone, don't kiss it, it probably has more germs than a public toilet and it makes you kinda dizzy.

My XYL and I were there in 2010, haven't been back but it was a fun place with fun people.

6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy the local full insurance. Those European rental agencies don't mess around when it comes to inspecting the car when you bring it back.

Way easier to pay whatever is required to drop the rental off and walk away.

WZ7U likes this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I did that.

Had my dual-band HT in the suitcase when we went to KP4 for our honeymoon. WITH the approval in advance of the bride, by the way.

It never left the suitcase.

And it was a great honeymoon, much better than the trip to KP2 with the first one!

8. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you're getting off to a great start:confused::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a shot from out on the coast. This is a road with a 100 kph speed limit and some of the locals actually drive that fast but ya gotta be ready to stop in a hurry to figure out how to pass on these narrow stretches..
    DSC01294.jpg

But that road took us to views like this:
    DSC01356.jpg

and this:
    DSC01793.jpg

FWIW, I'd suggest driving the Dingle Penninsula, visiting the Cliffs of Moher(but walk the dirt paths beyond the paved and tourist packed sections), Down Patrick Head up in County Mayo, and if you like a good uphill walk the hike up Croagh Patrick is a good day out. Just about all of Connemara and County Mayo is great driving and Galway is a pretty fun visit as is Westport, Newport and Achill Island (good bike riding on the Great Western Greenway there).

N5PAR, K3XR, KB2FCV and 2 others like this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

One typically gets one honeymoon.

You'll have plenty of time to play with your radios afterward.

Leave the radios home.

W4IOA, WZ7U and KU4X like this.