I'm going to Ireland!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2AFV, Jul 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2AFV

KD2AFV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So me and the XYL are taking our honeymoon to Ireland. Question I have is, can I operate on the air while I am there? I only have a general class license, and have been told in the past that only amateur extra's can operate in the EU. I did a bit of research, but got conflicting answers. And yes, the new wife says she is fine with me bringing my radio gear if it's possible.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're bringing HAM RADIO gear on your HONEYMOON?! :eek::eek::eek:

Seriously - sounds like a fun trip :)

No idea what the licensing issues are but you'll surely have good reliable answers soon....

Dave
    W7UUU

W4IOA, N2EY and KD2AFV like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Why bother bringing radio gear? You're going to be way too busy for that...

K9ASE and KK5JY like this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Didn't think he was serious! :rolleyes:

K5CWO, K7MH, WF4W and 6 others like this.
  5. KD2AFV

KD2AFV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We are renting a car and driving from town to town staying in bed and breakfast places (that're strategically positioned near pubs). Thought having a radio would be fun while on the road.

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

General class operators have reduced privileges under CEPT rules but you can still operate as long as you bring a copy of your license and your passport. Details here: http://www.arrl.org/cept

FWIW, I was in Ireland for a couple of weeks in June, mostly in Western Ireland but a bit of time in Dublin as well. Fantastic trip! I sure didn't have time for radio but YMMV.

Have fun.

KD2AFV likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Distances between pubs are really short. No time for radio.

WA8FOZ, NL7W, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, rarely do I laugh out loud when reading forum posts but ya got me with that one :)

Have you driven on Irish roads before? It's a full attention thing with crazy narrow roads coupled with high speed limits. The driving on the other side thing is easy but many of the roads there are crazy narrow with things like rock walls appearing inches off the passenger side not to mention sheep roaming about. There are small country roads along the Wild Atlantic Way (gotta drive at least some of it, it's awesome!) that are two way with nowhere near enough room for cars to pass each other and one or the other will back up to some small turnout to let the other through.

No way I'd be playing radio while driving over there :) The M routes (their version of freeways) are easy and pretty much like highways over here, the N(National) roads vary from pretty normal driving to a bit narrow but the smaller roads are crazy tiny, some barely wider than a car width and they'll still have a line painted down the middle. Locals laughed when we pointed out there was no way two cars could pass each other so why the middle line, they told us the crews had extra paint so why not? :)

Seriously, you'll have a great time but driving takes a lot of attention over there and the passenger is usually equally involved especially in the Gaeltacht regions where they don't use English on the road signs so everything is in Irish (Gaelic). BTW, with the narrow lanes, often with hedges and rock walls only inches off the passenger side mirror the passenger is often more stressed out than the driver, especially when a big truck or tour bus heads your way and you unintentionally give it a bit more room.

Maybe you're a master of Irish driving and I didn't mind the excitement (it felt a lot like rally car driving with a lot of acceleration and braking for the tighter blind corners) but I wouldn't add radio to the mix.

KU4X and KP4SX like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

SO, Hope you get a chance to take in a Mary Black concert.

10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Beware of Green Beer, I hear it's worse than Schlitz...

W4IOA and NL7W like this.