ad: K6IOK-1

I'm Confused, DXCC Entities ST0 & Z8

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2WH, Feb 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2WH

K2WH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I recently worked a Z8 and it is listed as Sudan.

But I also worked an ST0 about 5 years ago and that is listed as "Southern Sudan".

Are these 2 separate and distinct entities because the operator using both calls is the same person.

I think the ST0 has been deleted but I'm not sure.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

They are both on the current dxcc list.
    Z8 should be South Sudan but may be a newer prefix for it.
    I am pretty sure that my S. Sudan is an ST0 from a few years ago. S. Sudan was added to dxcc in 2011.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I don't know about your QSOs, but there are 2 entities, Sudan and South Sudan. South Sudan became independent from Sudan in 2011. Are you sure your Southern Sudan QSO is not from before 2011?

The IARU website shows Z8 as the prefix from South Sudan since 2012. Maybe your ST0 QSO was during the transition.

4. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

SUDAN no gots..... :(

REPUBLIC
    OF SOUTH SUDAN ST0R Z81B

5. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

This country has been in turmoil for many years, so it is good to see someone operating, back a few years only ST was used for the entire country, there was no North or South. I have a qsl card from ST2SA he was a doctor and then the only active ham in the country. This was 1979.

The country divided it self in North and South, Two cards show up in my file one Is ST0K South Sudan 1979 and the other ST0R an expedition also South Sudan dated 2011 In some notes from the league I kept it states about ST0 only contacts from May 7th 1972 to December 31, 1994 will count for this country. It then goes on the deleted group, but if you are within that time frame you can claim credit on the overall list of DXCC entities, but it is not a current country. There were two expeditions in more recent times to South Sudan one Z81Z date of 4/22/15 and another one of z81D 2013 and 2014. On my DXCC records I have ST and Z81 plus credit for ST0 since I have worked them in the time frame mentioned earlier. Z81D has been active on 20 with a very good signal in to Kentucky, in fact had a chat with him yesterday. Not busy, so chatted a few minutes then he took on the pile up.

This was the same scenario as East and West Germany, when it became unified your old contacts counted as East Germany, they are in the deleted group also listing the dates. Then you worked Germany again, for credit. If someone needs the full story on that be glad to publish it. Now that we are all totally confused, I am heading back to bed.

K2HAT likes this.
  6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Southern Sudan is a delete.
    South Sudan (The Republic of) and Sudan are current on the list.
    I hope you don't have a headache!! Some of this stuff can sure do that to ya. It can get pretty tangential!

7. K4LRX

Yeah, at 77 I do not need this much excitement!

8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

In years past before the internet and computer logging, the hard part was figuring out Russian callsigns and what entities they were good for on the DXCC list!
    That was sure a headache!

Judging from the picture in your bio, I'd say you are doing pretty good at 77!:)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. K4LRX

Thanks, been a ham since I was 15, love it, DX hound since 58. Yes, I am an old goat and proud of it.

K8PG likes this.