Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait a minute,,, Please a more accurate and detailed definition of just what exactly is an Illegal high frequency amplifier? I don't believe that the type of output device defines the description? A 3CX3000A7 device does not by it's own virtue make for a Illegal amplifier. Perhaps certain amplifiers being built and commercially sold for use on unauthorized services or amps being commercially marketed and distributed without FCC Type Acceptance within the jurisdiction of the United States might be considered illegal. I hold a US Amateur Radio Callsign and I operate a US Amateur Radio Station. Amateurs have a long tradition of building and intentional radiating RF devices. It is unique circumstance that a private individual may actually build and operate any type of intentional radiator for their own usefulness without the proper type acceptance and certification of the design and submission of the device for technical inspection. This tradition exists because hams used to provide proof of their proficiency and competency regarding their knowledge of technical theory, standards, best practices along with rules, regulations and proper operating procedures. Such competency was proven through the administration of a test examination where the prospective amateur would demonstrate his competency by providing descriptive solution, reasoning with explaination to each examination question, challenge or example. Hams were tested on their knowledge of Ham Radio, not on their knowledge of Ham Radio Test Materials.
    The tradition of hams ability to properly build , aquire assemble or operate devices for intentional radiation may soon be a thing of the past. Today we are confronted with devices that are not type accepted for amateur service and regardless of how they are operated are being considered Illegal? Maybe more concern and attention to all the scofflaw that goes on with these import FM rigs? Today there still is the tradition that allows for a ham to build and operate amplifiers based upon whatever surplus or commercial RF device they choose. As long as it is operated in a technically correct and legal manner including it's emmisions and amplitude. If operated beyond such permissible emission, it is not the device but is the operator!
    BtW .... 3CX3000A7 is an excellent device for ham use. It is inexpensive on the surplus market. It is easy to use with simplistic circuitry, it emits very clean emmisions and it's very hardy. Having alot of headroom assures hardiness and longevity . The grid can dissapate upwards of 400 watts. 100 watts will give you full legal and maybe a little headroom. Who excites an amp with much more than that? So would you consider some of the legal plus amps that are sold with type acceptance illegal too? The Alphas , Henry, OM, ect..... Oh and also export amps?
    Huh?!

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Paragraphs/Spacing/Spellcheck are your friends (And makes things much easier to read)
    Ymmv

KM1H, WG7X and WD4IGX like this.
  3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

If you study how electrons interact in a partial vacuum, and under the influence of magnetic fields,

Its easy to understand that hf ionespheric propagation is not reciprocal.

In fact, it will reflect a linear polarized transmitted wave back to earth as a pair of more or less circular polarized waves, one left hand and one right hand, and in two different directions.

Rege

4. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no FCC certification for any amateur radio transmitter on any band. The closest you can come to this is that the receiver portion must comply with Part 15.

- Glenn W9IQ

KI4AX likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Really ? Since when ?

6. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, if I remember my ham radio history... Since the beginning of ham radio.

Maybe Glen, our resident historian, will come along and fill in the blanks, but one of the main reasons we exist was to provide a source of operators experienced in radio experimentation, station building, and operating under adverse conditions.

Because of our unique position in radio history, our service has never been required to only operate "certified" equipment.

Look it up...

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can build your own. No cert needed.

But if a company sells them they need to be certified.

Unless the rules have changed, And I was left out of the loop. :mad:

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hot damn !!! I can finally build that spark gap 2M SSB transmitter?

Ed

AC0OB likes this.
  9. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

47 CFR ยง 15.5 - General conditions of operation.
    (d)Intentional radiators that produce Class B emissions (damped wave) are prohibited.

-------------

Damped-wave = spark

10. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not true for as long as I can remember - certainly not true today.

Perhaps you are thinking of amplifiers?

- Glenn W9IQ