ad: GNOHF-1

Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW,
    there's no such thing as an illegal High Power HF Amplifier in Amateur radio.
    That only applies to 11 meters.
    Amateurs are allowed to operate all kinds of equipment, and are supposed to be of a moral character
    that implies that they will operate said equipment within their operating privileges...
    Ymmv

N6PJB, K5ABB, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  2. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

He has the tube and socket $1200 and blower for $300. No filament transformer listed. It's radio station gear. They are all going solid state. He does not appear to be worried about "parts swappers" but the things are used rather than minty, pre-owned, gently used, never more than 200 W.....

3. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I have everything I need to make 3,000,000 watts ERP, right here at my house, and can do it legally in the ham bands.
    Antenna gain is ~34 dB.

K4AGO and KK4RSV like this.
  4. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

This would certainly test one's moral character.
    http://www.dc9dz.de/en/tsunami100k.html

KD8DEY likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

N2AMM, WQ4G and KD2ACO like this.
  6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You joke but - in the 90s I was into bicycle road racing. One of the local amateur teams had a guy on the team, who happened to be a psychiatrist professionally, who raced in amateur Category IV, at the time the second to lowest. So for him this was pure recreation and fitness. He did not need, would not even notice, the paltry prize money for a Cat IV win and spent a great deal on the best equipment, traveling to races etc. Being an MD as well he was something of the team's medical coach, evaluating fitness, recommending training, monitoring progress and so on.

He was suspended from a race once for hiding behind a dumpster. This was a criterium, a multiple lap race around a short (<1.5 miles per lap, anything longer being a "circuit race" if multiple laps were involved), closed course, often an industrial park otherwise empty on weekends or the like. So what he would do is tuck into drafting at the back of the pack then as they passed the dumpster he'd dart over behind it and stop, take a breather for one or more laps while the pack went 'round and 'round, then jump back onto the back of the pack on a later lap, refreshed.

They caught him. ISTR him being suspended for other cheating too but that's the one that sticks in my memory.

Now...why? He's already an MD, and a psychiatrist at that, one of the more highly paid specialties. He didn't need the money, and had prestige. And what does a victory "won" by, essentially, hiding behind a giant garbage can, even mean? Nothing - but he did it.

I mean, I agree with you, but there are people who only seem to care about being pronounced a winner, even if they didn't actually win.

W4PG, N8VIL and WQ4G like this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish people - amp makers and sellers both amateur and dealers - would stop saying "input power" when they mean "amplifier drive power." I first saw the chart in that link and did a double take because "how in hell can output be MORE than input? IMPOSSIBLE!"

Well it really can't of course. I noticed this starting many years ago, typically used at the time by people why just did not understand the concept of input power and efficiency versus output power.

/pedantic rant off

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PAs for amateur radio shifted from "DC input power" to "RF output power" ratings decades ago when Part 97 was revised the same way.

Reasonably accurate RF wattmeters became affordable, and you can't interfere with anyone with DC input power.:)

Another good reason for the change is the proliferation of solid state amps where DC input power isn't so easy to measure (when you're dealing with 20-50A, the shunts have to be very precise to even make this measurement).

K6LPM likes this.
  9. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love to crunch numbers. Sorry.
    200,000 watts compared to 3 watts is around 44 db gain over a legal cb signal.
    BUT ...... the loss due to cross polarization from the presumably horizontal LP is roughly 20 db.
    So, net gain of 24 db, or about 4 S units.
    Conclusion? None, I'm just crunching numbers.

(signed)
    The Count

Everyone remembers Sesame Street, right?

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What have you been smoking?

KU3X likes this.