Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

There are 3 phase lines running adjacent to my grandfather's house. He also owns a large generator. No radio stuff though.

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

One can make their own 3 phase using a surplus Variable Frequency Drive.

KW6LA likes this.
  3. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

3 phase motors will run on 2 phases, as long as the phases are about 60 degrees apart. My neighbor had a large industrial lathe with a 3 phase motor. He got 2 phase by using a large inductor (or one part of a pole transformer) to give a delayed phase from 240 split phase house wiring.

4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

They MIGHT run on two legs although I have never seen that work. Every three phase motor I have EVER seen would not start with only two legs. I suppose it's possible. Just never took the time to play around. I was too busy trying to fix it.

Ki4ax

5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

KI4AX. Quite true. Single phase or split phase pure induction motors have zero torque at zero RPM. That's why they have an additional "start" winding, or other means to get them going. 3 phase motors, by nature will start easily. A 3 phase motor on 2 phases require manual starting without a load until RPM permits internal torque build up.

6. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Gents- Running a 3 ph motor 125 % bigger than the motor use. You wire the single ph power to the idler 3 ph motor ( 2 poles in series ) with the motor used. Now you pull
    a wire off the 3rd leg to feed the motor used. It will be 3 ph with the odd leg down about 30%. I ran a small machine shop ( all 3ph) off a 10hp phasing motor. You can rope
    start the idler motor or buy a phase converter ( has a start capacitor ) to get it going. Easy now to buy a Variable Frequency Driver, that will convert 1 phase to 3 ph.
    The motor type has has been around for years and is called rotary phase converting.

KD2ACO likes this.
  7. KW6LA

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive used a 7.5 hp 3 phase motor plus some line balancing caps to run 3 phase tools off my 240V line for close to 30 years.
    Around here used 3 phase tools are dirt cheap

KW6LA likes this.
  9. WD8ED

WD8ED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are there illegal ham amplifiers? Or operators operating illegally?

Ed

KW6LA and K5HS like this.
  10. KW6LA

Ed.. You know that's a rhetorical question. LOL :)