Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit SB-101A in the 1 watt output position (front panel switch) into a dummy load on 10 meters in a northern MI basement. Called 'test, test, test' as I was testing the audio on a second receiver. A station came back and called me from FL.

WQ4G likes this.
  2. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

600-800 watts is really all anybody needs to do an effective job at getting out there one should think. Anything over that is going overboard in my opinion. It really doesn't bother me though what others do.

I've looked at different ways to get clear signal propagation by using different mics and really just adjusting on antennas and the amps I've had. I don't see any sense in trying to go out and crank up that Henry 2k to the limit. It's crazy if you ask me, to run any amp that way.

I always likened it to how when I was younger. Where me and my friends were always trying to out do the other with our suped up race cars. I kick myself in the butt each time I think about the number of '63 Chevelles and '70 Camaros we destroyed racing on the weekends at Putnamville Raceway. Boy, if I just had but one of those cars now. I'd not be diving them into a turn to get position on the track. That's for sure.

I've gotten to where I appreciate things better than I once had. I own a Cadillac now. So you won't see me gunning it to get to the head of the line. Where the highway merges because of repairs or other reasons. Only to be one or two cars out in a line of traffic doing 45mph. But yet there's always that guy whose got to be number one. It never fails. I just have to shake my head anymore.

WQ4G likes this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t know what different microphones has to do with propagation but that measure is a commentary on the changing ham community we currently ‘enjoy’

4. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was referring to voice clarity. As in different microphones are clearer than others. Thus easier to hear what a contact is saying.

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt a Heil HC-4 cuts thru QRM, but not the smooth bass content of a Behringer XM-8500 or Shure SM58.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup.

Musta been Boston and Montreal

I thought those speed signs were just suggestions. Im doing 75 in a 55 and getting passed on both sides

Im a grandfather so guess I can recreate the PP 250TH amp with PP 810 modulators I had 1957-60:D
    In 60-61 at NAS Olathe KS the K0NAB club station had a 32V2 driving a modified BC-610 to a 6el 20M Telrex at 90' on top of the old WW2 Quonset hut/hangar. That was mostly used to handle AM phone patches to EU and elsewhere along with regular ragchewing..
    When the slopbuckets deliberately QRMed us we had permission to fire up the next stage. That was a surplus US Army amp running a pair of 1500T's with 1000T's for audio. Once the old MG set got up to speed and all else was ready the frequency was quickly cleared and traffic resumed at the new power level. The USN didnt take orders from the FCC:eek::rolleyes:

That was due to all the small town crooked cops that preyed on the new Interstate 95, and especially the various unfinished sections that detoured and went thru their s***holes on US 1. Thanks to CB I never got nailed in that dump of a state.

Those idiots were fun to play with if they were out of the far right lane, another good use for CB coordination.

Carl

WQ4G likes this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite a while back, there was one of those "speed trap" cities in central Texas.

One day, the engineer in charge of the Dallas FCC office decided to get lunch in that city. Just as he exited the freeway, he was stopped by a local police officer and given a ticket. The engineer was certain that he was not speeding so he demanded to see the license for the radio system.

The police chief was at lunch and was very unhappy that he was called away. The engineer then checked the license and then some of the equipment. A local radio shop had sold the police department a new system and had changed the frequency on which they were operating. However, the license was not modified to have the new frequency.

The engineer told the police chief that he would appear in court to argue against the ticket and, if he were found guilty, that there would be fines levied about the problems with the frequency. If there were any replies from the city concerning the fines, he would be the person who had the "say so" about reducing, or eliminating, the fines. He appeared in court and the local judge, just as he had done in numerous cases before, found the engineer guilty of the speeding charges.

The engineer obtained the records of when the new system was installed as well as all of the equipment. At that time, the maximum fine was $10,000.00 per day per unit. The maximum fine was assigned to each radio from the time of installation and when the speeding ticket was issued. This amounted to over $1,000,000.00. The city appealed the fine and that appeal was denied. The radio shop's insurance company paid $500,000.00 of the fine and the city had to pay the remainder which was over $600,000.00. Basically, to collect about $40.00 for the speeding ticket it cost the city over $600,000.00.

However, the city council decided that the city would no longer be a "speed trap", fired most of the police force, and lost the title of being a "speed trap".

Glen, K9STH

WD4IGX and KK4RSV like this.
  8. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hudson Oaks ???

Or maybe that little town north of San Antonio ???

AD5HR likes this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My father was a sales rep for RCA LMR back in the 70's (the TacTec's). He received a radar speeding ticket somewhere upstate NY and on a whim, looked up their FCC license on the "greenbar" printouts he used to get... Turns out, their license has expired, he went to court and the ticket was dismissed! He was very, very happy for about a month or so... :D

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt too many of the general public would think of checking the radar license expiration date. Operated the RCA Tac-Tec series. They were a well made and very reliable system as was their VHF line of mobile radios at the time. As I recall they were all still made here in the States but can't say for certain.