Ignorant about PSK-31

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W9RAC, Jun 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a Amateur for a long time. CW/SSB all HF. I have never had any exposure to digital like PSK-31, none, zero, I know nothing. So I have a Yaesu FT 2000 I want to use with PSK-31. I have ordered, or am getting ready to a Yaesu SCU-17 to use with it. I am having a very hard time understanding the process.

I am using a newer PC, windows based, 7 pro. which is the operating system I had installed since I like how solid it is. Its a solid state hard drive. So I see I need to download a virtual comport driver. I see this information listed in the SCU-17 manual online. They provide a link to Silicon Labs which is a dead end. I do searches for the SCU-17 comport download but I can not find anything. Evidently I need this for the computer before I hook up the SCU-17 and FT 2000. Im wanting to use the PSK-31 to rag chew. Would anyone who has this set up be able to please help me thru it. 73 Rich

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here are the links for the driver.....the best source of info for that is the installation guide (first link):

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?c...C03DED4AD35153E12C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Click of the "FILES" tab. If you have trouble from there, bring it back to the Zed and I'm sure someone will be able to help. The driver will allow the computer to talk to the computer. Configuring whatever PSK software you'll be using is another thing all together. Good luck. It's a learning curve we've all gone through. :)

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W9RAC

Well thanks Jeff. I did find that link but when I download it and run it for the 64 based machine the wizard says it can not find any drivers designed for my machine. I'm not sure if this being a solid state hard drive makes it different or something. I have downloaded it several times and get that message each time. Do you think I am in the preverbal S.O.L. category? I have not ordered the Yaesu SCU 17 yet I wanted to be certain I can get the software for the computer. What you think Jeff? I sure appreciate it sir. 73 Rich

5. W9RAC

I got it to work, thanks. Now I will order the unit and check back, thanks, Rich

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool! How'd ya do it?

I noticed on the SiLab site that they have listing for WIN 7 drivers. Was gonna suggest that maybe the ones on the Yaesu site were for 10... but ya got it so no need!

Have fun!

I'm trying to get port 8073 open on my router so I can use the SDR rcvrs on-line... no luck so far.

7. W9RAC

Well
    Jeff I am ordering the SCU 17 to use with my CW rig, Yaesu FT 2000. I got the driver download ok so should work. I been reading, I was hoping to do some rag chew on the PSK 31 but after reading some Im not sure anyone is on it anymore. Do you think I should do something else before I order this? Id hate to get set up and Im the only one on.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Not into the digital here much anymore Rich, but I think you may be right about the PSK. Think everyone seems to be onto the JT stuff now?

Wouldn't that work for any digital mode though?

9. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

The SCU17 will work with most digital modes. FT8 is the most popular and it will work with the SCU17. The WSJTx software can be downloaded from the Internet for free. You'll also want to set up rig control so that the software can control the radio's frequency, mode, filter selections, etc.

W9RAC and WR2E like this.
  10. W9RAC

So regarding the PSK 31 mode, when I check out the reverse beacon network, filter for PSK 31 I see tons of stations all over seas but I have yet to see a stateside station? Is it dead here? Im I way to late for this mode? The reason I ask about the PSK 31 mode was from what I have read it is more of a conversational mode.... rag chew so to speak which is what I was looking for. Thanks for your patience. RAC