If you had 1600.00 to spend on an amp which would you pick

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KI5AAI, Aug 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

For $1600 I would hope to find a 500w amp that covers 160-6.. maybe luck out and find a second hand kpa500. Otherwise perhaps an AL80B.

2. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I went two routes. First, totally rebuilt a wreck SB-220 so it would cover 160 and all of the WARC bands. Major amount of work and costly.... but it works quite well. Most hams don't want the hassle or have the experience to undertake a project that has little financial payback.

Second route was a well used ALS-1300. One that was used by a contester and DXer for several years. He worked out all the bugs and dealt with MFJ service. He sold gave me a good price and included spare finals and other goodies. But, that came with a price, since the ALS amps are very SWR sensitive. Ended up with a MFJ 998RT tuner at the tower. It has a few quirks, but it solves the SWR problems.

Pete

3. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

For the amp , i love the AL80B.
    But the tuner and antenna is a bigger problem.
    I do not know if the Hustler antenna can handle all the power the AL80B can make.
    I know for sure that the 949 can not even handle all the power on all HF bands with the IC7300 alone.
    No the MFJ949 tuner will not handle the AL80B.

You surely need to take a good look at the antenna situation to.
    I can imagine a number of antenna improvements that could be as usefull or more usefull as an amplifier with another antenna tuner.

4. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

A Heathkit SB @ 220. With the manual you can take it apart and put it back together again or even troubleshoot it. With a tube amp the SWR in your antenna system being off (not 1:1) is more forgiving. Others will explain why.

5. KC6USM

KC6USM Ham Member QRZ Page

For price, quality. I'd stick to my Datron
    Tw 500d solid state 1.5-30 mhz Amp.
    It's 52# of solid quality, metering, temp
    Warning, fault etc . Puts out 500-575w
    Output and it works. No tubes to replace. Got mine for $1000. Glad I found it. Just install band select line switches and a p.t.t. plug and it's online.