If you had 1600.00 to spend on an amp which would you pick

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KI5AAI, Aug 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You read the manual??!!

2. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never owned either the 80B or 811 but I sure see a lot of 811's for sale throughout the years. Why is that? I've known several people with each amps and the 80B guys like them, and the 811 guys want to sell them.

KK4RSV likes this.
  3. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Labor of love... add QSK too.

KD2ACO likes this.
  4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the 811/811H probably outsells the 80B new several times over, because it's so much less expensive, so of course there are more used ones. And because when you have an AL-811 or 811H, there's an upgrade path when you want to spend the money. Sure there's also an upgrade path from an AL-80B but you pay a LOT more to get a tiny bit more actual performance at the receiving end (at least if you operate the big gun amp you move up to from an 80B within legal limits) whereas, figuring a real world don't-melt-it-down output of 500W from the 811H and 1kw from the 80B, you can double the real-world output power (3db, but that can sometimes mean more than it seems like it would) of an 811H by going to to an 80B, you can't legally double the output of the 80B for any amount of money, and even the 50% or so increase you can get legally costs a LOT more for the logarithmically small 50% power increase.

W4NNF, AD5HR and KA0HCP like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do hams sell anything? For some it's a desire to get above 600 - 800 watts and do a kilowatt or more. Hey, it's their money. ;)

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People sell stuff because they want to.

"It's a free country," sorta.

I occasionally unload stuff that works absolutely fine (I wouldn't sell it if it didn't) but I just don't need it anymore. I think in some cases I never needed it to begin with.:p

7. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. No one should be surprised that entry-level rigs, amplifiers, or other equipment are common on the used market.

W4NNF likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

BIG job to put up a good 160 antenna also

KN1M likes this.
  9. VK4TI

VK4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

"KI5AAI, post: 4777602, member: 877713"]I know there is not a "best" amp out there. I am looking to getting an amp anywhere from 500 W and up. I have read all can so far about the pros and cons of solid state vs tubes. I am still torn on which way to go. I do mostly voice but might do digital later one. Currently, I have a Hustler 6bTV and IC-7300 for my setup and an MFJ-949 Versa Tuner. I think I would have to get a tuner since the MFJ-949 is only good for 300W and I have read actually less.

So far I have looked at Ameritron ALS-500 M, AL-80B, AL-811.

So, if you had 1600 to spend on a new amp (not used), which ones would you guys look at?"

Personally I think if you are up for some assembly then look at a W6PQL hf/6 kit , I did and it works very well unless you need the last few watts , then buy the larger kit :).... you will get a tremendus amplifier for modest money and learn along the way ( and no I got no return for mentioning Jim)

10. W3SCA

W3SCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten Tec Titan 425, you can find then all over for $1300 - $1500 and they are great amps for that kind of money!!!