ad: Morse-1

If you had 1600.00 to spend on an amp which would you pick

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KI5AAI, Aug 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or clean a lint filter. :eek:

KM1H and KI5AAI like this.
  2. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it here! It's great to live on the side of a (small) mountain, listen to wildlife at night instead of traffic, and have room for a nice garden and a pretty solid radio station. But I'm not a city-dweller by nature. I grew up on acreage a couple of miles outside of a town of 1,500 people, where the tallest building in town was the feed mill.

KK4RSV likes this.
  3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

You have received some great advise. I have had several amps from several manufacturers, tube and solid state. IMO go with an Ameritron offering. They have a great service department and very friendly folks to talk too. Do not invest in an amp that has no support, -Ten Tec etc...

If you are running a solid state station, go soild state amp. Very user friendly.

Into boat anchors, go 3-500z.

4. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

NO! I have researched this a few times. The main Tech at Ameritron told me it was not worth it.

5. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I ended up getting the AL-80B and did not get the GOP. I looked at how it worked and felt it would not be worth the effort nor 35 bucks to get it.

I love the AL-80B so far. Still getting use to tuning it. Any advice from people here would be welcomed. But I am heard now into the EU and can break through pile ups pretty quick.

KA4FXC likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Follow the instructions in the manual. ;)

Enjoy.

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd get a Heathkit SB-220, update and mod it, and then have 1200 bucks left for a new radio!

NQ1B and W4WTS like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Big job to put it on 160 meters, though.

9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why you get a TL-922 (like I did) !

Roger G3YRO

10. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I almost bought the 500 watt Ameritron solid state amp. Many ARO's have said in one way or another "the first 500 watts are all that matters". I planned to use it the car and at home, until I realized I would need an 80 amp power supply for the shack. These days, I don't spend much time in the car.