If you brought your personal radio equip to a disaster, would you leave it over nite.

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by N6OPS, Mar 30, 2019.

?

If you brought your radio equip to a disaster, would you leave it at nite for someone else to use.

Poll closed Apr 13, 2019.
  1. YES

16.7%
  2. NO

83.3%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you brought your personal radio equipment Power supply/Radio/coax/antenna would you leave it behind when you bed down at night for the next radio operator if he/she did not have one? or do you trust someone you dont know?

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only would I be concerned about theft of and/or damage to the radio I would also be concerned of unlicensed people using it. If someone was transmitting something especially egregious on the radio to the point that someone wanted to trace it back to the source then I could be rudely awakened by someone that wanted answers, with the guilty party long gone and unidentified.

N6OPS and N4FZ like this.
  3. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what Baofeng radios are for.

W5ACC, N6OPS and N3PM like this.
  4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, I've come across ads for the other ones (wouxun) selling in lots of 10. These would be perfect for "handing out a tthe door", and ensuring interoperabilty. Way back, this is what we did if we responded to another municipality. Nice to have one of their radios. Made it easier.
    Mike N3PM

N6OPS likes this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it is being used to provide needed genuine assistance, absolutely! I wouldn't even be upset if it got damaged or destroyed in the line of duty, if it had been used for noble purposes.

If it is being used for anything less than that, under the label of emergency comms or disaster assistance, I wouldn't want my gear or myself to play a part in that. I'd pack up and take my gear with me.

W5PFG and N6OPS like this.
  6. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto. Otherwise why show up if you're heart is not in it?

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How many threads on the same subject ?

If you can not trust people, Just don't go.

You your radio and your family will be safe that way.

8. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is being used as a study for Agncies and Non-Profits. Its difficult to explain to new people why its important to equip headquarters and field locations without a study to refer to.

9. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think it would depend a lot on where I was sleeping relative to the station setup. Would I turn over equipment to random people and walk away? no. Would I set up my station and operate it, sleeping nearby with people who seem to know what they're doing when I am not operating? Probably.

I might even turn it over if I can get a detailed receipt to claim it back / claim damages.