If you are ID VERIFIED, DO NOT TURN OFF your "2nd Factor Authentication"!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by W7UUU, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Several instances recently we have seen sellers who went to all the trouble to become ID Verified then decide to turn off the "2nd Factor Authentication" (the system which requires you to enter a code from either your cell phone or 3rd party app every 30 days per device)

If you do this the system will remove your status as ID Verified and you'll now have to do it all over again!!

The two systems are married together and 2FA is required for IDV to function. It's not optional.

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP likes this.
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny you should mention this. I access QRZ from both home and work computers, and periodically I have to do a full log-in on both. However, the last time I had to log in from the home PC, I had the phone in hand, ready to run the code app, and entered my user name and password, but got no prompt for the app code. It just logged me in. Any ideas?

3. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to turn it off briefly to be able to move the authentication software to my new phone. From what I see I am still verified. No problem sending in info to you if you want me to.

VE7DOG likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've noticed the same thing. My theory is that devices that are used very frequently keep the 30-day window rolling forward. Devices used much less often are held to the 30-day limit. My laptop, office desk, and shack computers rarely demand a code. But my iPhone, workshop computer, and the computer we use mostly for streaming Netflix all require the code every 30 days

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W7UUU

If you change cell phones, ping support@qrz.com ahead of the move and you should be fine. I think if the time frame is fairly short, the IDV won't be deleted from your account.

My only point is this: if you turn off 2FA just because you don't want the hassle of having to do it, your IDV will deactivate. If you change cell phones, let support know ahead of time.

Dave
    W7UUU

W4RAV likes this.
  6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just make sure that the "Trust this device for 30 days" box is always checked whenever I get prompted for the code and it's good until the 30 days are up.
    I believe, but I'm not certain, that you can disable 2FA without losing verification as long as you remain logged in and don't log out before you re-enable it. Perhaps someone who knows for sure can confirm (or deny) this.

7. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My suggestion is to use Authy for your 2fa app. Authy has a backup function that will allow you to sync your authentications across devices. Get a new phone no problem just sign in to the authy app and it will sync all of your codes to your new phone. Have 2 phones no problem it syncs back and forth between the 2 happily. Dont want to use a phone all the time no problem they have a desktop app.

https://authy.com/

8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been going for several months now and haven't been asked to redo any authorization. If I had to redo it every 30 days I might have second thoughts about the process.

9. W7UUU

Talking about the "2nd factor authorization" where you enter in the 6 digit code.

In my experience, you don't have to do it, it seems, if that computer is on QRZ on a very regular basis. It just goes along month after month, not requiring you to enter the code.

But if I log in using another computer device that I don't use regularly, I'm asked to enter the code.

My ONLY point in this thread: if you have the green "verified" banner, and turn off "second factor identification" you will very likely lose IDV and have to start over.

Just don't turn off 2FA in your account settings and you're fine.

This is a PSA because we've had a number of folks annoyed they lost their IDV because they turned off 2Fa

Capiche?

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

10. KA1VT

KA1VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At first it was a pain in the backsides traveling back and forth between two qth's. I dropped the 2 factor, now here for the winter it isn't bad. Rolls right along, but I understand why some think it is a pain to deal with.

N1GHI and K5BLS like this.