ad: Radclub22-1

ICQPodcast - Loudspeakers for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Sep 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQPodcast Episode 275

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Dan Romanchik KB6NU, Martin Rothwell M0SGL, and Frank Howell K4FMH to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief, and this episode’s feature is - Loudspeakers for Ham Radio.

ICQ AMATEUR / HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank John Peterson and our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include:-

• New ARRL Chief Executive Officer Elected by Board of Directors
    • FCC Publish New Part 95 Rules in Federal Register
    • FT8CALL - FT8 with Chat
    • Zello Network linked to the Southern Ireland Repeater Network
    • Austrians Object to Amateur Radio Being Classed as a “Toy”!
    • Young Alabama Radio Hams Earn Awards
    • National Frequency Coordinators Council Defunct
    • Needed - National Radio Centre Volunteers
    • Captain Cook Special Event
    • New Amateur Radio Regulations Proposed for Malta

The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2018-9-2_21-36-7.png

KK4PNS, EA1HPW and K9CTB like this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use two sets of West Mountain COMspkr's. They sound good and are RFI resistant.

W1MDM, KG7YTS and K7JCL like this.
  3. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, I was not aware I need assistance selecting a speaker for my rig. Seems ... um ... sort basic to me. I cannot wait for a future episode about the ten best notepads, or maybe a piece on the best shape coffee cup, to have in the shack. I refrained from commenting on the worthless "review" of headsets in a previous episode - which was so vague, and general, as to be tantamount to misinformation. I am so grateful (not) there are so many self-appointed experts looking out for me.

Just MY take ... your mileage may vary. JR

K0WJ, K5WQH, N6WMD and 9 others like this.
  4. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it's a good exampel on todays hams technical knowledge, or astonishing lack of it. A podcast about selecting speakers, I rest my case ...

As K8JHR said, Just My take .. and My opinion

K0WJ, K5WQH, KC9WXX and 5 others like this.
  5. K2LGO

K2LGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Been through trying external speakers of many stripes for my HF & VHF radios, and have decided its not worth the bother...

KG7FIU likes this.
  6. W6LDX

W6LDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A good communications speaker like the Motorola model number HSN4039A will do a great job of reproducing voice frequencies. You don't need HI-FI speakers as the ability to reproduce the extreme highs and lows takes away from the voice range. 300 to 3,400 Hz is perfect for voice reproduction and efficient listening. That DX station that you are trying to hear is sure not transmitting a 20 to 20,000 Hz audio signal. The way things are going you won't need any microphone or speaker. It will all be computer to computer; no more human to human. Automated Amateur Radio, what a terrible thing to happen to a once great hobby.

7. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I settled on an old Radio Shack plastic extension speaker, 21-549A, for my current rig. Just cannot afford alot of very expensive "matching" accessories and after some comparison, RS speaker has the best balance and clarity for me, on SSB. Actually excellent sounding for what it is. And my 2M rig indoors has an old metal Motorola speaker. But being a tin box, I stuffed it a little to dampen that tin box sound. I have matching speakers for a couple of old radios, just that they were package and not being sold separate as expensive vintage accessories. Some "hi fi" type speakers sound wretched on HF radios.

K9CTB and KF4ZKU like this.
  8. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on what you're into. Me, I'd really rather not talk to anyone (on the radio). I get enough ragchewing in daily life.
    I haven't used an HF mic in years, and rarely have the speakers on. My eyes tell me all I need to know.

I'm far more interested in some of the technology aspects of the hobby.
    If all I could do is PTT or tap some metal, I'd been bored out of amateur radio many years ago.
    I could live to be 150 and not work all the 1000+ digital modes and methods at our fingertips.

And "computer to computer" is not as automated as those less-experienced would have you believe. It's certainly more challenging than operating phone or Morse code.
    Setting up for a new mode might take hours or even days to complete. Anyone who trouble-shoots computers will know that.

It's still a great hobby, even if it's not the same one you fell in love with.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    K0WJ, VK6APZ/SK2022, K9CTB and 2 others like this.
  9. KA5IQX

KA5IQX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with W8AAZ. After testing several different external speakers as an option for some of my radios .. I was rather surprised to find that the Radio Shack Communications speaker seemed to have a better quality sound than other speakers costing more. I really wasn't expecting that result .. but I have been quite pleased with them. I say "them" .. because once I discovered how good they sounded .. I purchased two more. At the time, Radio Shack was having serious problems as a corporation .. and it was becoming fairly clear that they might not survive. So .. I decided to buy a couple of extra speakers .. just to have them when I needed them. Of course they don't compare with the top-notch .. powered .. filtered .. processed .. digitized and pasteurized .. super duper speakers that are currently available on the market. But for the price .. they were very well made and sounded just fine. The quality of Radio Shack products would sometimes vary .. depending on what item you were purchasing. But .. overall they had some pretty good stuff .. and it worked fairly well. I miss the "Shack" down the road .. now that they are gone. It was certainly convenient to be able to run down and pick up some little fitting or adapter or whatever … exactly when you needed it. Oh well. Things change … and the world moves forward. ( Or backwards .. depending on your viewpoint. )

K9CTB and KF4ZKU like this.
  10. KD9JBU

KD9JBU Ham Member QRZ Page

As a newer Ham, I appreciate the info! I've bought the $35. Kenwood speaker, but, saw the $6. MFJ knock off. Was the Kenwood worth it? I have 2 shacks and 7 radios at the moment, external speakers are a consideration right now.. So "Thank You" for information that seems so mundane to others.

K4BBN, VE3EWN, KE7DRT and 3 others like this.
  11. KG7OG

KG7OG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A better listening environment reduces ear fatigue.

Less ear fatigue means better operating comfort and practices.

N4GST and KF4ZKU like this.
  12. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Coincidentally I just decided to stop using the ubiquitous surplus Motorola mobile speaker, in favor of the built-in speaker on my K3. Maybe it’s just my particular unit, but it’s never sounded all that great and requires a higher AF gain level for the same apparent volume as the built-in and my headset. (Yes, I checked for damage to the speaker cone).

I like to use the headset anyway for more than just a casual contact. I can hear much more detail and weaker signals with it than I ever can from a speaker.

13. KT4RK

KT4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

People have to learn that technical knowledge somewhere. Last I checked, people aren't born with it.

K1XS, K4FMH, KF4ZKU and 1 other person like this.
  14. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

------------------------------------

You are correct ... if someone needs this program to find what is essentially standard fare in many catalogs, and from numerous online vendors, then they do need this sort of help. JHR

15. W5HEH

W5HEH Ham Member QRZ Page

just on SOC SEC no big pensions , got lucky years ago and some computer speakers came with dell , those are ok -Lansing , and was give a few old computer set speakers with built in preamps , another altec-lansing - work FB - (yah old term( Cw used more ) for good quality -fine business - they are not the Best but sound fine with my hearing OM- ole man, issues ,
    hihi . But great tips on Motorola and Radio Shack com speakers ,appreciate that - Speaker sound is a Subjective choice , and personal one - frankly i have a large antique speaker in old Radio cab my Gran's had - gonna try it for fun .
    73s and Happy listening
    ps life it too short to Insult anyone , especially our Ham Bros and Sis es !

K0WJ likes this.