ICQ Podcast Episode 262 - Upgrading To Your Next Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm blessed with building height that puts my antennas between 50 and 75 feet, so I can put up wire moxons and yagis, and work out to 5 or 6,000 miles, most days from Seoul. Waiting for DL5RBW to finish up with a NZ station, so I can say hi, at the moment. Having a beam -- even a homebrew wire one, means I'll make 3 to 7 contacts on a day that I would be lucky to get 1 with a single wire.

Sadly, I'll be selling off pretty much my entire shack, if we move stateside next year. I won't have building height after that... probably will invest in something portable and simple. I will be a poor boy for a few years, as I attempt to re-enter the US workforce and support a family.

Maybe I'll pick up a Yaesu FT450D, or similar.

KK5R likes this.
  2. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Maybe it's time for Amateurs to start buying American made products. Economic patriotism is not a bad thing and there are some excellent choices made right here in the USA.

US7IGN and WA2LXB like this.
  3. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Japanese car in 1969 and pulled into a gas station for a fill-up. The gas jockey was a sourpuss. He was putting in the gas and I was taken aback when he looked at me and said, "I don't know why people buy these foreign cars. We make cars here in America. Buying a foreign car is not the American thing to do."

I was surprised by his remark and it took me a few seconds to respond. I said, "American car-makers can make anything. However, car-makers make the cars that THEY want to make and not always the cars that Americans want to buy. While it may not be the American thing to do when you buy a foreign car, it's a shame you have to go outside your own country to get what you want."

Sure, we buy radios made in Japan and China. The same radios made in America would cost more and not be any better, in my opinion. Note that radios made by Elecraft are the exception to this rule... However, price has to come into the equation, here. It's not a simple, one-issue factor when determining what one wants and needs.

Until American manufactures produce a competitive radio both cost-wise and in specifications, there will be foreign radios AND domestic radios on the market. If there were no competition and no open market, then we'd see some gross and unacceptable restrictions on what we can buy.

This is the bottom line: People's preferences and pocketbooks will be what drives the production/consumer market. This is nothing new. Think VW, for example.

For those who want an American radio, one that wins wars and is a powerhouse, effectiveness-wise, there are options but even these have their limitations as far as price, size, weight and availability are concerned. I'm thinking about the old R-390 and other radios of that ilk. However, by today's standards, not everyone would want to park that kind of radio on the operating bench.

When you can buy a foreign radio that does it all, even though it might not deflect a steel-jacketed round, there is still no argument in that everyone will buy what he/she wants and the name on the box does not matter when the brochure is read and decisions are made.

As long as there we have Walmart stores, there will be options.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. IK2ODD

IK2ODD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using FTDX 3000 for a few years and It works fine. Good quality/price and don't ask nothing better. I touched IC7610 screen in ham fair and it's seems a nice toy with good receiver but too pricey for my opinion. Running full legal power into monobander I hope to have fun in worst conditions of propagation. If I could raise the antenna much more, at 100Ft. at least will be great.

KK5R likes this.
  5. LU3HBS

LU3HBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Flex Radio - la mejor opcion por U$2000. por que esperar

KK5R likes this.
  6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Por mi parte, espero los US$2000 {;->

7. DM2LI

DM2LI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not invest any more money into this hobby , my station works without any problems , so why spend more money ? got some other expensive hobbies ..................

KK5R and US7IGN like this.